19

Entry Re: Robert Janis

"How's it going down there?"

The man in the Hawaiian shirt stood across the link from Robert. In the background, four men lifted an unconscious man up from the alley floor and shuffled past him.

"The operation was a success. We were about to move him."

"Good."

The man in the Hawaiian shirt nodded, and what sounded like a car door shutting came over the link. "We've got to go."

"Be careful," Robert said.

"I will."

The link went black, and Robert got up from his chair. This was the farthest any of the subjects had ever gotten. Maybe now he would finally be able to fix this mess. Maybe.

He crossed the room to a set of glasses on a tray table in the corner and took the decanter full of spiced rum behind them in his hand. He pulled the glass stopper and poured some of the amber liquid into one of the glasses. All the subjects had perfect lives; all the subjects had been offered a choice, but this one had taken the bait, had managed to make it out into the wild.

He gripped the drink and switched his display over to the real-time analysis application he had built for this. It didn't matter how it had happened, all that mattered was that everything was finally in place and on schedule.