14

Entry Re: Robert Janis

"Something needs to be done about this."

Robert stared past the man in the Hawaiian shirt and pursed his lips. He knew that if he didn't act quickly this would put everything into jeopardy.

"He's spending every waking moment with this woman. He has no reason to act, and without a second event on an active participant, this is going to be over."

"Thank you for stating the obvious," Robert said with mild contempt. "I realize fully the gravity of the situation."

Robert picked up a pen and put it in his mouth, biting down hard enough to leave an imprint in the soft plastic. His entire plan had been to push this stupid man to the edge, to drive him to drop out of this world, and instead he used it to wedge himself back in. Everything was working in reverse.

"We have to find a way to push him back onto the ledge," Robert said.

"How are we going to do that? We can't destroy his score again; the SPA will cart him off."

"We have to press him where it will be most effective. Before it was his life, but now things have changed."

Robert could see the light bulb go on inside his friend's eyes.

"With a little patience and a few nudges, he'll be back on course, and the SPA won't be any wiser."