6

Entry Re: Robert Janis

Robert sat in his chair, watching the blood-red sun go down across the city in front of him. It was strange to think that the thing he had worked most of his life to build was the thing he was now trying so desperately to destroy. It was a dog that had gone rabid, he told himself, but that's not why he was doing it. He was doing it because it needed to be done, and since he was the creator of this monster, who better to hunt it?

The door behind him creaked and Robert spun around. The man in the Hawaiian shirt came in and sat on the desk to Robert's right.

"The plan is-"

"Going as expected?" said Robert "I know. I did a little peeking in on the SPA surveillance systems at StormQuest. Our boy did well."

"He hasn't initiated the virus yet."

"Give him time. He seems relatively intelligent. He'll find it."

"And if he doesn't?"

"There's always next time."

The man in the Hawaiian shirt spun Robert's chair to face him. "There isn't going to be a next time. Is there?"

"Of course there is."

The man in the Hawaiian shirt stared at him with icy fury and squeezed his chair. Robert stood and walked to the other side of the room. He grabbed his chin tight and stared at the wooden door in front of him. He was right. There wasn't going to be a next time. Robert looked at the desk. The top left drawer held a sonic interrupter. Supposedly painless... supposedly.

"You're right. This is the last attempt."

"Why?"

"Because sometimes no decision is a decision in and of itself."