I'm Not That Little Girl Anymore

As Y/N is untieing the horses I get up and stretch my hands above my body. "You ready?" She ask while handing me the reins of my horse. I nod, put my foot in the stirrup and hoist myself in the saddle. On the way back we barely speak. We laugh a bit when a squirl comes running down from a tree and scares the shit out of the horses, but after that it was silent the whole way home.

When we reach the gate of the settlement, Peter is on top of the watchtower. He smiles when he sees us and orders for the gates to be opened. He climbs down and comes running to us. "Jesus, Ellie." He says as he helps me down. "Where's Dina?" He looks up at Y/N, who is looking at the reins she's clamping onto. "She didn't make it." She says with her teeth clenched together. She jumps down and pulls her horse through the gate. "How did you find each other?" I take the reins back from Peter and follow after Y/N. "Long story."

When I catch up with Y/N I smile at her.  "You should come with me." I tell her as we walk our horses into the stable. She looks at me surprised. "Are you sure?" She takes the saddle of her horse and lays it on the side of the stable. "Yeah." I tie my hair in a half bun as I walk to the door. "Come on."

My house is cold when we walk in. I quickly take some fire wood and throw it in the fireplace. I light it up and sit in front of it. "Thats better." Y/N sits down next to me with her legs crossed and sighs. "I'm sorry." I look at her. "What do you mean?" The Light from the fire casts a yellow and orange glow over her face. "For not being in time to save her." She clenched her fists and looks back at me. "I'm so sorry." I don't know what to say. She saved my life, and here she is saying she's sorry. "What? No." I cup her face and pull her towards me. "You saved me!" I wrap my arm around her shoulder and rest my head on hers. "I think I'm going to bed." She says as she squeezes my hand. "I have to get up early tomorrow." She gets up and walks away. "What? Why?" I get up and follow after her. "I have to get home." My eyes grow big. "But you are home." I say, tears stinging my eyes. I hold onto her hand. "Please stay." She looks me in the eyes. And I know she's thinking about it. "I'll have to go home first, tell them I'm staying here." She let's go of my hand, kisses the top of my head and walks into my bedroom. I smile thankfully and sigh. I walk back to the living room and sit down on the couch.

I must have dozed off because the fire has died down. The only thing left are some small, red spots. I shiver and throw some new wood on. It lights and I sink down in front of it. When I'm about to close my eyes, someone knocks on the door. I get up and open it. "Tommy." I say. He's standing there, holding a tray. He looks at me distressed. I step aside and let him in. "I heard what happened." He says as he sets down the tray on the table. "I have to finish it." He sits down on the couch and looks at me. "You have no idea what you're walking into." he has a small wound on his head. It looks old, but I doubt it is. "What are you doing?" I ask as I step back a bit. "You don't know how large that group is. How armed." He look me dead in the eyes. "I don't care." I stare back at him. "You can't stop this." I hiss at him with clenched fists. I walk to the couch, where I dropped my bag and swing it over my shoulder. "Ellie, wait." I step close to him. "You have no idea what this means to me. They killed Dina. Now I'm going to kill them." I rush to the front door and pull it open. "Ellie, think about what you're doing." Tommy rests his hand on my shoulder. I look at him and shake it off. "I do know what I'm doing. I'm not that little girl that walked in here with Joel five years ago. I can take care of myself." I walk away, leaving the door open.