Scale Of One To Ten

"Scale of one to ten," Dina says while turning to me, her cigarette dangling between her index and thumb. "How would you rate our kiss from last night?"  She leans on her left arm and smiles at me. I smile back. Her hair is up in a messy bun, a few curls sticking out on the sides. Smoke from her cigarette rises up as I'm thinking about my answer. "Maybe a two?" I suggest jokingly. She nudges me. "For real?" She takes a puff of her cigarette. "I can't grade something like that. all I know is that it was amazing." I get up from my chair and offer her my hand. She takes it and I pull her up. "Our shift almost starts. We should get going." 

Dina follows after me as we pass through the empty, snowy streets. The gate is closed, a few people huddled in front. I search for Peter and find him standing with Catherine. He waves when he sees me. "How was your night?" He asks as he nudges Catherine, his eyebrows going up and down. I roll my eyes. "That would be none of your business," Dina says before I can answer him. I smile at her as if to say 'Than you'. Peter takes Catherine hand and kisses the top of it. They started dating a few weeks after Y/N left. Thinking about her makes me sad as if something's missing. And I know it was six months ago when we had to fight that horde of infected, but I still hope she comes barging through those gates one day. Peter steps on a crate and raises his hands. "Is everybody ready?" He asks. Now that that asshole called Casper is gone, Peter took over his job. Casper left the day after Y/N, as if that made up for what he did. I clench my fists at the thought. 

I put my foot in the stirrup of the saddle and hoist myself on top of Gaia. I pat her neck and look over at Dina, who hoisted herself on top of Billy. She smiles brightly and spurs her horse. I follow after her quickly. 

Our horses have a hard time getting through the thick layer of fresh snow and have to take a rest often. Thank god we only have to be back at nightfall. I let myself down and tie the reins around a tree. Dina does the same and leans against Billy. She takes out a cigarette and lights it with a lighter she found a few days ago. It's dark blue. She takes a puff and looks up. The sky is dark, even though it's only just 11 AM. I look at her. There's light shining through the branches, casting shadows on her face. She looks beautiful in this light. "What are you staring at?" She asks, tapping the top of her cigarette to brush off some of the burned paper. "You," I say dreamily. She smiles and looks down, her face turning various colours of red.
Something in the woods makes a sound. I can't make out what it is but I snatch my rifle from Gaia's saddle anyway. I put the end against my shoulder and hold it up before my face. My breathing quickens but I remain still. A lock of hair falls before my eyes. Quickly I brush it away. Dina looks at me. "What-?" I put my finger to my mouth, telling her to keep quiet. She understands and calmly grabs her rifle too. It's dark brown. She carved her name and some doodles on it when she first got it. The bushes rustle and behind me, a branch breaks. Dina turns to that side. She walks to me, keeping her rifle aimed at woods. Her back grazes mine and she stands behind me. Something is thrown to us. At first, I can't quite make out what it is but then I see. It's a gas grenade. I dive to it, trying to pick it up to throw it back but I'm too late. It explodes and sends green gas out. If fills the air quickly. I take a deep breath and hold it. As I search for Dina I realise it useless. The gas has entered my system already. I fall to the ground, dropping my rifle. I lean on my left arm and use the other to crawl away. I see something that looks like Dina, also on the ground. She extends her hand to me but we're too far apart. The arm I'm using is getting too weak and I have to use my other hand now too. I look at her one last time before my head hits the ground and my eyes shut.