Chapter Sixteen: The Parting of Ways

Aidan tossed and turned on the ground beside the trundle bed, where several thick blankets had been turned into a makeshift bed for him. Darin slept soundly on Eden's bed since she had no use for it, and Alanna slumbered on the trundle bed below, but sleep had refused to comfort Aidan all night. With a sigh, he rubbed his face with both hands. His cheeks were flushed, and even though he had long since kicked off his blankets, the room was still uncomfortably warm. Or maybe it was the way his mind was running, running, running without ceasing.

Eden can't mean it, Aidan thought. She can't leave. Even she has to admit that it would be foolish. She's just tense like everyone else.

But he couldn't push away the memory of her eyes; the way they turned a darker shade of green when she'd stared at the empty space in the hallway, shouting about running away.

I can't blame her for being upset, though. I might feel the same way if I were in her position. He rolled over onto his side, cradling his head on his elbow. But that isn't a good enough reason to run away. Maybe if she had suffered years of physical abuse like me, she would understand that, and she wouldn't be so—

Aidan opened his eyes, startled at his own thoughts.

But I wouldn't wish that on anyone, he backtracked, least of all Eden.

He clenched his eyes shut and tried to stop thinking. He stared at the wall, focusing on the grain of the white plaster; the desk, counting the books that were stacked there; the window curtains, studying them to find a pattern in the weave of the fabric.

At last, he could stand it no more. He snatched up his electric torch and tiptoed out of the bedroom. The bathroom door was closed when he passed it, so he continued quietly down the stairs and stepped outside, carefully avoiding the splintered wood where the busted lock had damaged the front door.

The soft pitter-patter of paws on grass greeted him on the other side of the door. Aidan smiled down at the O'Doherty's Australian Shepherd, scratching her neck and behind her ears. She wagged her tail and nudged his leg.

"Come on, Bonnie," he said, starting toward the shore. "Come on, girl."

Bonnie followed once Aidan had taken a couple of steps and cantered contentedly beside him.

The soft sound of the gentle ocean waves beckoned him to the shore. He clicked on his torch and set down the gravel path. Though the slightest hints of sunrise were teasing the horizon, the sun had yet to break over the waves and overcome the darkness of the night.

Aidan sat down just before he reached the surf, folding his arms over his bent knees. He leaned his back against a boulder and tossed away some seaweed that clung to the rock next to him. Bonnie stood at his side, watching the water for a moment before noticing a stray puffin on the rocky shore. She let out a quiet bark of barely-contained excitement and chased after the bird.

The wind off the ocean calmed Aidan as he watched the misty horizon, and he felt his muscles relax.

If only his mind would do the same.

He'd laughed with Eden last night, but it had been a facade.  The truth was that so much had happened in a short amount of time that he wasn't sure how to process it all. Life hadn't slowed down since they'd run away from home. Between Gregory's break-in and Eden's transformation, he felt pulled in too many directions. Not to mention that he still had to provide for his siblings. It was a relief to know that Gregory would be out of their lives, but Aidan was still responsible for Darin and Alanna, and mending nets for a living didn't rake in the big bucks. Fitz was generous to offer to take them in and care for them, but Aidan didn't want to abuse his kindness. If they were going to make a new life with the Campbells for any amount of time, he wanted to earn their keep.