Dedication and Author's Note

"Love is willing self-sacrifice for the good of another that does not require reciprocation, nor that the person being loved is deserving."

-- Paul Tripp, What Did You Expect?

DEDICATION

Before you read any further, I'd like to dedicate this book to all of you who have been scarred by those who were meant to love you. Whether it be physical scars or emotional scars, this book is for you.

I also want to dedicate this story specifically to the wonderful, funny, kind, quirky, sarcastic, awesome kids that I got to meet through Royal Family Kids of Southwest Missouri. You guys have changed my life. This is also for you.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Hey guys! Thanks for clicking on my story. I hope that you find it entertaining, inviting, and encouraging! Please feel free to vote and comment on the chapters--your feedback so helpful! I haven't been able to reply to every comment, but that doesn't mean I don't see them. I see them and I love them!

The News:

I have rewritten the first part of this book. (Chapters 1-13 will be pretty different, and there will be more chapters overall. The point that I left off at in chapter 14 will now be the end of chapter 17 or so). I am posting these new chapters every other week starting August 1st 2019. I'm ahead right now, and I'm going to try and stay that way so that I can provide you with more frequent and consistent updates than I have in the past.

What this means for you:

If you are a new reader, just enjoy yourself as you scroll through the story! Ignore any comments that don't make sense -- they were probably posted when this story was in the first-draft stage. I didn't want to completely start over, so the old chapters have been erased and the new chapters have taken their place. So, any comments posted between 2012-2018 may or may not be relevant. Unless they are compliments -- then, by all means, go ahead and treat them as absolute truth. ;)

If you are a current reader of this story (meaning that you've read every chapter of this story that was posted), then I would recommend starting with the new readers back at Chapter One, if not the Prologue (the prologue, at least, hasn't changed). Personally, I love the new chapters and want you to love them, too. Some significant details have changed. If you want to find out which character has become more important and see how Eden and Aidan's relationship is way less cheesy now....please do. :)

I apologize for the mess. This is the one thing I can find wrong with sharing stories chapter by chapter: when you want to change the beginning--for the good of the middle and end--it can be confusing for the reader! Thank you all for being so patient with me and supporting me over the years.

A massive thanks...

I would be a fool to post this note without recognizing the wonderful people (who I'm happy to call my friends and family) who helped me get my story to this stage, and particularly helped me with these rewritten chapters.

JanMAlexander - your wisdom and insight helped form my vision for what my story could be, and you've been so kind and humble about everything even though you literally have the best. ideas. ever.

abigail__joy - your enthusiasm and support has been what keeps me excited about my story when I start to get stuck or distracted. You're the best!

Kayla Uphoff - your Tolkien-loving self asked so many good and hard questions that forced me to build up my characters and my world to be bigger and more real than I had imagined they could be. They wouldn't be what they are without your help! Thank you!

My readers - if you've been here since the beginning when I first posted this story in 2012, I applaud you, and I thank you. You all are such an encouragement!

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy!

Sincerely,