the end

Gerard had made arrangements to travel to New York. He was going to take the train seeing as he didn't trust himself to drive at the moment, and had booked one for the following day. Ray had offered as much updates as he could, trying to keep Gerard's imagination from taunting him, though Frank could see it wasn't working.

It wasn't the way they would have thought their day would go. A couple of hours previous, everything was fine. Now, their date was cancelled (Frank knew that wasn't what he should have been thinking about) and Gerard was about to leave. The worst part was, Frank didn't know when he was returning. Surely, he'd have to because he had a job here, right?

"I'm going to stay in Mikey's flat with Ray." Gerard said, hanging up the phone as he paced around the room, slapping the device against his palm.

Not knowing at all what to say, Frank simply nodded.

"My train leaves tomorrow." He added, raking his fingers through his hair. "I should pack. I-I have stuff to do. I have to go home." By now, he was talking awfully fast, so Frank jumped up from his spot on the sofa, going over to do his best to comfort him.

"It's going to be alright, yeah?" Frank murmured, taking Gerard's shaking hands in his own to squeeze them reassuringly.

"It's not."

From a young age, Mikey was always the one to fall ill because he had a weaker immune system compared to Gerard, who was betting it hadn't gotten any stronger since childhood.

"We can't be sure, but we can hope." Frank smiled wearily, receiving half of one in return.

Looking down at their hands, Gerard whispered, "Maybe."

"Is there anything I can do to cheer you up?" He asked quietly, stroking Gerard's hair behind his ear so he could see his eyes, which were surrounded by smudged eyeliner.

Gerard shrugged half-heartedly, voice cracking when he spoke. "I don't know, sugar."

Placing a hand on the back of his neck, one around his waist, Frank pulled him in for a hug -easily the hundredth one that day. "I'll make us coffee, then we'll go to your house and I'll help you pack, yeah?" He suggested, pressing his lips to Gerard's neck. "Sound like a plan?"

Gerard hummed in response, snaking his arms around Frank's waist, enjoying the warmth he gave off. "Thank you."

He furrowed his brows. "What for?"

"For being here for me, you know?" He took a deep breath –Frank smelled like coffee and the coconut shampoo he used. "Through everything."

Frank smiled, kissing him on the cheek. "Anytime."

-

"Hey." Frank jogged up the stairs, meeting Gerard on the landing, leaning against the banister.

So far, they'd packed a few personal belongings that Gerard insisted he take: clothes, which consisted mostly of skinny jeans and other tight items that Frank couldn't wait to get the chance to see him in, and food for the journey.

While Gerard had been alone, left to his own devices, he'd dug out the small box from under his bed. Then had rummaged through it to find his anti-anxiety medication to take as much as he felt he needed. He never bothered reading the prescriptions or labels anymore to check for the required amount, because the required amount never worked. Anyway, once he'd taken them, he'd felt like he could handle everything a lot better.

"What were you shouting me for?"

Gerard appeared from behind the spare bedroom door, bringing a hoodie with him. "You left this here last time." He said, hooking it around Frank's neck, using it to pull him closer.