e i g h t

Brendon trudged over to Frank and slumped in a seat beside him. Clearly he was searching for some sort of attention, because he huffed like a wolf.

Frank's expression morphed in to concern. "What's wrong?" He asked, knowing full well when something was bothering Brendon because he wasn't his naturally bubbly self.

"Ryan and I had a. . . Well; I wouldn't call it a fight." He moped, running his hands down his face in frustration.

"What did you do?" Frank raised his eyebrows.

"How dare you accuse me in my fragile state? You should be comforting me."

"Alright." Frank offered a small smile, opening his arms wide. "Come here." With that, Brendon instantly slouched back in to Frank's arms, resting his head on his chest as Frank combed his fingers soothingly through Brendon's hair. "Tell me what happened."

Although it was none of their business, a few students snickered at their affectionate behaviour, though it was nothing new. The pair had always had a touchy-feely relationship.

Even in the past few weeks when Brendon had been distant due to being in a relationship and developing more friends, they still shared hugs when they saw each other.

"I. . ." Brendon trailed off in a sigh. "I know it was my fault. . . Sort of." He quickly added, closing his eyes.

At this, Frank let out a long breath. He guessed Brendon had done something bad without meaning to. He often got things like social cues wrong or distorted. He remained silent, allowing Brendon to continue in a judge-free zone.

"Okay, so I was told there'd be a party at Melanie's house 'cause she'd got accepted in to a college-" Brendon began to ramble on, opening his eyes to stare at the ceiling. "So I went with Ryan. It was alright until we got separated from each other –it was so fucking crowded. I retreated to the kitchen, obviously, because that's where the food and drinks were, but there were people there already, including Dallon–"

Their teacher, Mrs Bowie, walked in and the class stopped muttering, a wave of respect washing over the room. Mrs Bowie was a fair teacher, loved by the students for her sense of humour and lack of homework-giving.

Reluctantly, Brendon sat up straight again in his own chair. Frank untangled his fingers from his hair and sat back. Quietly, while Mrs Bowie did the register, Frank leaned in to Brendon, muttering, "Do you want to talk later?"

"Your house?"

Frank nodded in confirmation.

-

After preparing caramel flavoured coffee –their favourite- Frank handed Brendon both mugs, then closed the blinds and drew the curtains before sitting down next to him on the floor of the living room. Now it was dark and they could only just see each other.

"So what happened?" he asked, taking his own coffee and raising it to his nose so he could smell the wonderful caramel smell.

Furrowing his brows, mulling over his answer, Brendon shuffled uncomfortably on the spot, avoiding looking at his best friend. Eventually he sighed and blurted out, "I kissed another guy."

"Oh." Frank pressed his lips together.

"I didn't do it. Well, I did, but I didn't want to! I mean, I was talking with Dallon and all of a sudden, he just fucking kisses me." Brendon explained, carding his fingers anxiously through his hair.

Taking a sip of the burning hot drink, Frank glanced at him through his lashes. "It clearly wasn't your fault –unless you were subconsciously flirting?"