f o r t y o n e

Despite Gerard's concerned protests, Frank had insisted he get out of bed as he hadn't really used his legs and didn't want to be sat around all day.

Gerard was worried, thinking Frank needed a little more bed rest as he'd literally just been thrown around like a rag doll, but Frank had decided that three days recovery time was enough -although he had liked the fact Gerard had been taking care of him. It was mostly them just lying in bed together, Gerard's arms wrapped around his torso, but he loved the comfort it brought him.

In addition, Gerard had kept fixing him coffee and cooking meals, basically fussing over him, even though Frank insisted he didn't need to. He didn't want to feel like a bother, a burden, or annoying.

Since it'd all happened, Frank didn't dare look in the mirror. He knew his eye was pretty much black and he had a purple and blue bruise painting his jaw line before fading out to his cheek, complete with a thin cut -Bert must have been wearing rings. So he didn't know why Gerard kept complimenting him, telling him he was beautiful as he kissed him.

Currently, they were sat in the living room, they'd put a CD on as background noise, though as Gerard sketched, he kept tapping his pencil and humming along to the songs -now that was Frank's idea of a pleasant background noise. Hopefully, Gerard would start singing.

Frank was kneeling by the coffee table, opposite Gerard. He was attempting to draw but it wasn't going so well. Luckily, he had an art teacher right in front of him.

"Hey, Gee?" He mumbled, chewing the end of his pencil.

"Yes, Frankie?" Gerard's answer was muffled by the pen he'd stuck in his mouth like a useless cigarette. Frank still had the packet he'd taken from Gerard in his pocket and he guessed he missed smoking. Especially during the stress that Bert had inflicted upon them a few days ago.

"I know we're not at school, but can you help me?"

"Sure." He glanced up, flashing him a goofy smile. "With what?"

"Art, dumbass." He pointed to the scribble on paper that he was going to call 'Iero's Collection of Terrible Attempts'. If he tried any more, he could get a whole series going.

"Oh, right, yeah." He chuckled, climbing over the table to sit beside him. "What're you thinking of drawing?"

"Literally anything that's easy to learn because I suck."

"Well," Gerard took the pen from his mouth between two fingers, blowing non-existent smoke in Frank's unimpressed face. "You don't suck. You're pretty good compared to what people call 'art' these days."

"Am not." Frank blushed a little because Gerard was complimenting him and he hated it when he did that because it made him want to kiss him. Which, now that he thought about it, wasn't exactly a bad thing.

"You are!" Gerard shuffled to sit on his legs. "Seriously. Abstract art, for example, isn't even art! It's like someone dumped paint on canvas and decided if they gave it a meaningless, complicated story, they could sell it to pretentious idiots who don't want to be looked down upon for disagreeing with them because that wouldn't be proper. Seriously, a kid in nursery could do abstract art! It's so stupid!"

Raising his eyebrows, Frank cocked his head to the side. "You're very pissed about that, huh?"

"Is it that obvious?" Gerard sighed with a small smile. "Real artists don't get enough credit. And, you're right, it does piss me off."

"People like you."

Confused, Gerard furrowed his brows.

"People like you don't get enough credit." Frank explained. "You should be putting your art in galleries. You wouldn't need a dumb story to sell it."