"With my luck, it won't be."

Cheryl knocked on Toni's front door, dreading what was to come. If the girl wanted to end things, she could have done that over text. Maybe it was good news, maybe things would work out.

"Hey, Cheryl," Toni said as she swung the door open. "Come on in."

The redhead followed her inside and up the stairs to Toni's bedroom. The shorter girl shut the door behind them as they entered.

"We need to talk," she said. Toni walked over to the bed and sat down, motioning for Cheryl to join her.

Cheryl nodded. Her throat felt dry, and she took a deep breath. She walked over to the bed and sat beside Toni. Tears already threatened to fall as she waited for the other shoe to drop.

"I've been thinking a lot about what you told me," Toni explained. "I want you to explain why."

"I... I made a mistake, Toni. Words can't express how much I regret my actions," Cheryl responded.

"Right, but why did you do it?"

The redhead inhaled sharply, struggling to stay composed. "The water heater broke, and the water was freezing. It... it reminded me of something awful. And we didn't even have money for food, let alone repairs."

"You didn't have food?"

Cheryl shook her head, "We had instant noodles but not much else."

"You really were just trying to survive," Toni said to herself.

The taller girl's brow furrowed, "Hm?"

"I was talking to my grandpa earlier," Toni explained. "I was trying to make sense of what you did, and he always helps me work through things. He has since I was a little kid."

"Wh-what did he say?"

Toni began to tell Cheryl about her afternoon spent with her grandfather. The redhead hung onto every word she spoke, awaiting her fate.

Toni went straight to her grandfather's after school. He lived on one of the other houses on the Topaz property. Despite their physical closeness, Toni didn't visit him often.

"Hello, Ant," Thomas greeted as he opened the door. "A visit from my granddaughter? Did I win the lottery?"

"Hey, Grandpa," she laughed. "I hope you don't mind me stopping by. School just got out."

"I never mind seeing you," the man responded, ushering his granddaughter into the house. He settled down in his favorite armchair, and Toni sat down on the sofa. "So to what do I owe this visit?"

"Just thought I'd stop by," Toni shrugged, avoiding his question.

He chuckled and reclined his seat. Rather than push her, he turned on the television, changing to the Game Show Network.

They sat in silence for a while, watching reruns of Family Feud. Occasionally, Toni would laugh at the answers, but neither Topaz spoke. It was a comfortable silence, but Toni couldn't ignore the racing thoughts in her mind for too long.

"Grandpa?" she asked, getting the man's attention. "Can you tell me what it was like... growing up on the Southside?"

"It was not the life we have now," he said. "I miss it greatly, but I cannot deny the comforts I now have because of your father's business."

"You miss it?"

"I miss our people," Thomas explained. "I do not miss the Southside."