l̳i̳.̳

𝙏he sun had risen by the time Negan returned, thankfully, with Rick in tow. Adalyn winced as Negan threw Rick out of the R.V., letting him hit the ground. He grabbed hold of his collar again, dragging back toward the others. Rick struggled to get free, ax flailing. He jerked himself forward just as Negan let go of him, momentum dragging him to the ground again.

"Here we are," Negan said. "Let me ask you something, Rick- - do you even know what that little trip was about?"

Silence. Adalyn fought the urge to reach out and hug Rick as tight as she could.

"Speak when you're spoken to," Negan said.

Rick took in a deep breath. "Okay," he said, voice weak. "Okay."

Negan smiled. "That trip was about the way that you looked at me," he said. "I wanted to change that. I wanted you to understand." He chuckled as he looked down at Rick. "But you're still looking at me the same damn way... like I shit in your scrambled eggs, and that's not gonna work. So... do I give you another chance?"

Rick was shaking. He nodded slowly. "Yeah," he said. "Yes. Yes."

Negan patted him on the back. "Okay," he said. "All right. And here it is- - the grand-prize game. What you do next will decide whether your crap day becomes everyone's last crap day or just another crap day."

He waved a hand toward the Saviors. "Get some guns to the back of their heads."

The Saviors did as told. Adalyn shivered as heard the gun cocking overhead. "Good," Negan said. "Now... level with their noses, so if you have to fire..." He imitated and explosion, laughing. "It'll be a real mess." 

The Saviors listened.

And then Negan's eyes landed on Carl. "Kid..." he said. He pointed to the ground beside Rick, a smile on his face. "Right here." Carl didn't move. Adalyn squeezed his hand. "Kid... now."

Carl and Adalyn shared a look. She offered him the best attempt at a reassuring smile that she could muster, but it fell away in an instant. He moved to the spot Negan had pointed at.

"You a southpaw?" Negan asked, taking off his belt.

"Am I a what?" Carl asked.

"You a lefty?"

Carl looked Negan in the eye. "No," he said, voice firm.

Negan raised an eyebrow. "Good," he said. He tied the belt around Carl's arm, just above the elbow.  Adalyn realized with startling clarity that it was meant to act as a tourniquet.

"That hurt?" Negan asked Carl. 

Carl shook his head. "No," he answered.

"Should," Negan said. "It's supposed to." He flashed a smile. "All right. Get down on the ground, kid, next to Daddy. Spread them wings." He took Carl's hat off of him, tossing it to the ground.

Carl hesitated, doing as told. Negan pushed him down the rest of the way, hand on the middle of his back. Negan straightened. "Simon..." he said. "You got a pen?"

"Yeah," Simon answered.

He tossed a marker to Negan, who caught it in one hand.