chapter 22

It may have only been 3 days that I had to stay in the hospital but it was the longest 3 days ever. I was always exhausted and woke up every hour. When I got back to his parents place I didn't do much. If I move around too much my side begins to hurt and it's not pleasant. Lucas helps me get the last few things together and get into the car. His family says their goodbyes and we get going. I lay my seat back some just to make sure I would be comfortable. After a while we pull over to refill the car with gas. I slowly get out of the car to take a quick bathroom break.

“Do you want any snacks while we’re here?” Lucas says now beside me.

“Sure.”

“What would you like?”

“I’m not sure I just really need a bathroom break.”

“Well, I'll wait for you and then we can pick some things out.”

After I get out we grab a few different things and leave. I tried to offer to drive some of the way since it was starting to get late but Lucas refused. We were almost there and I was half asleep when Lucas’s phone started ringing. He picks up his phone over the car’s speaker phone. 

“Hello?” he says.

“Hey, It’s Rick I just wanted to see if you are back yet?”

“Almost. Why?” 

“”I just wanted to see if you could come in real quick.”

“Yeah sure. I'll be there in about 20 minutes,” Lucas says and then hangs up. “I hope you don't mind if we stop by there on the way home.”

“No. I’ll probably steal some of the candies from my friend Lainey’s desk.”

He just laughs, “If you could steal me some that would be awesome.”

Once we got to the office we both got on the elevator. I end up getting off first while Lucas waits since he has to go to the top floor. I head to my office and grab the bowl of chocolates and end up pouring them all into a plastic shopping bag. I knew Lainey would end up getting more later. I sit down on the couch and kick my feet up. I knew I would be waiting awhile so I thought I might as well get comfortable. I was getting bored and I had to stop myself before I got myself sick from eating so much chocolate. After a while of waiting there’s a quiet knock on the door a Lucas quietly steps in.

“Ready to go?” Lucas asks.

"Yeah. What did Rick need?"

"It was nothing. Just about a mission we will be going on in about a week."

"What is it about?"

"That's not important until later. Now you owe me some candy and let's get you back to your place."

"Okay," I say getting up.

Once we got to my place Lucas insisted on staying in the extra room. I gave in, speaking it was late. The next morning I get up before Lucas and turn on the tv in the living room. After about an hour Lucas appears from the guest room. His hair was still a mess and for a second I thought he was sleep walking. 

“Have you gotten breakfast yet?” he asks, stumbling into the kitchen.

“No.”

“Well then, what do you want to eat?”

“I don’t know. As long as it’s not like the hospital food I'll be good,” I say with a shrug.

“How about breakfast burritos then?”

“Sounds good to me.”

“Great because I was really craving it,” he says with a laugh. “Now you stay here and relax while I go run out to get it because I already know you don't have much here to eat in the first place.”

“Ha ha very funny. Why can’t I just come with you?”

“Because you're gonna stay here and relax like I said.”

After grabbing hit keys, phone and wallet he leaves telling me once again to relax. I spend the whole time doing absolutely nothing but throwing a random bouncy ball I found on the floor up and down. What felt like hours later Lucas finally appears with food. As I sit up I realize lucas wasn't as cheery and happy as when he left. Looking closer I realize his eyes are bloodshot and looked like they still had tears in them ready to come spilling out. He sits down next so me and hands me my breakfast as he keeps his own.

“Are you okay?” I ask after finally working up the courage to do so.

“Yeah,” he says almost in a whisper.

“Are you sure?

He then shakes his head putting his head in his hands. “I dont know.”

“What happened?”

“My parents called saying my uncle just died of a heart attack. He was like a second dad to me,” he  says while looking up at me.

“I'm so sorry.”

“It’s okay,” he says with a small smile. 

Right after that though tears start slowly rolling down his face. I instantly wap my arms around him as he buries his face in my neck. He keeps a death grip on me like he’s afraid I'm going to leave him.

"It's going to be okay," I tell him while rubbing his back. "It's all gonna be okay."