chapter 17 ~Lucas's POV

Sorry it's a little short but I've been extremely busy with finals and just finished the last one today.

I didn't mean to be so rude when I first met Madeline. I was just used to working alone and preferred it that way. When I did have a partner we got really close. It was a dangerous mission. Let's just say he didn't make it.

Madeline and I argue a lot in all but I still cared about her. When she got hurt I felt bad. It was my fault I wasn't making sure she was with me at all times. Then when I sent her out to the hall to wait while I did a quick walk down of the place. Then I saw that man practically on top of her.

It made me feel even worse when she started to freak out as we headed to her place. After I had given her some clothes to change into I went downstairs into the kitchen to find something to eat. I hear my phone go off in the living room and go to grab it. I see Madeline asleep on the couch. Not wanting to wake her up by trying to move here I just decided to leave her be.

 I just smile and grab my phone to see my friend from high school, Jake, had texted saying he was on his way. I head back into the kitchen grabbing a bag of chips and a few water bottles. A few minutes later the doorbell rings signaling that Jake was here. The second I answer the door he engulfs me with a tight hug and a pat on the back.

"Man I've missed you we need to hang out more often," he says with a smile.

"If I wasn't so busy with work we would."

We both head inside and go straight to the living room.

"Who's this?" Jake says referring to Madeline as we both sit down on the floor. "Your new girlfriend?"

"No she's my partner and hasn't had the best week."

"Ooh knight in shining armor coming to save the day."

"Will you just shut up already or I'll eat these chips all by myself."

"Fine fine."

After a while of playing I hear whimpers coming from behind me. Both Jake and I look back to see it was coming from Madeline. After a few trys I finally wake her up out of her nightmare. I help her move down to the floor with me. She lays back down with me holding her and her legs to the side. I kept seeing Jake smirk at me from the corner of my eye. I just ignore as we continue playing.