I'm Fine, My Ass: Chapter 9

Time is different in Tartarus. This is about a week and a half after the last chapter with Annabeth, and a few minutes after the last chapter. Also, took half an hour to come up with the title. It's not even that good. No OC's. 

><

"Annabeth! You have a letter," a voice yelled, tearing me from my concentration on the book I had been reading. 

"Go away, Alice," I said while glaring at him.

"B-but- it came from the fire!" Alice exclaimed. 

I put my book down and froze. I was so shocked, I could hardly process what he said. "Repeat that again."

"It came from the fire," she said uncertainly. 

"Give me it!" I stood up, came face to face with her. She hesitantly reached towards her pocket, pulling out a folded piece of parchment. 

I stared at it for a moment and reached out to grab it. It was soft and yellowed, and looked like it was made from a hide of some sort. 

On the top, it read, For Annabeth. I assumed it was, well, for me.

I unfolded it uncertainly, looking to see a gathering group of people- whom I were close to- behind Alice. 

I decided to skim over it, to read aloud after I did silently. 

I skimmed the letter, which was in fluent Greek, to find it was from Percy. I held back a gasp, this had been expected. Who else could've sent a letter that way. 

I'm fine. Those words stood out to me. "I'm fine, my ass," I mumbled.

I looked up again to see a group of my friends and siblings waiting in front of me. Taking in an uneasy breath, I started reading. "Dear Annabeth..."

I looked, again, to the people in front of me. I continued reading, not too sure of what they wanted me to do. "I'm immortal. A gift I never wanted. Is that the thing I'm most concerned about? No. I miss you more. I'll wait forever for you. I hope you'll do the same. Don't bother to write back. I'll be gone. I'm fine, if you were wondering. I'm just in Hell. I think we've always been in Hell, though.

"I'm staying at the shack, if you were wondering. I haven't had many run-ins with monsters, well, nothing big. I saw a giant a bit back, but that isn't important. I'm safe. I have food, thank Hestia. Anyways, love you,

"-Seaweed Brain." I bit back a sob as the crowd stood before me, some looking at their shoes in shame, others blinking back tears. 

I clutched the note, a simple momentum, and sat back down in the spot where I had been reading only minutes before. 

What had he meant by "Thank Hestia?"  Was he trying to tell me something? And the shack... Damasen's shack? And who was the giant he had run into? Had it been Damasen? Or someone else?

He was fine, according to the letter. Well guess what, Percy? I thought. I'm not fine.

Had he known I was immortal? Is that why he said he wanted- no, hoped- I would wait for him forever? How would he have known? 

The saddest part? I understood what he meant when he said we'd always been in Hell. I was sure I knew better that everyone listening to the letter, too. Well, maybe Nico had understood. Nico understands everything. 

"Are you okay?" Julia asked, standing next to Alice. As I looked up to the sisters, I realized how much they reminded me of Conner and Travis. Ever since Travis left for college, these two daughters of Hermes had stepped up and became the new pranksters at camp. 

I dully noted some of the campers standing in the front. None of the 7, I noticed. Sherman stood behind Julia, Lou Ellen standing next to the son of Ares. Lacy and Mitchell stood, together,  next to Lou Ellen. And next to them, closest to me, was my sister and one of my brothers. 

Everyone had the same look: tear stained cheeks and rueful frowns. 

Out of nowhere, a confused voice asked, "So, what'd I miss?" 

I turned towards Nico, my hands shaking and my cheeks stained with tears. I slowly stepped words him, the letter feeling heavy in my hands. I handed him the parchment, looking him dead in the eye, trying to warn him. 

As he read it, I whispered one last thing. "May the gods have mercy on his soul."