Chapter 21 - Lunch

Alex – November 2006

It was Wednesday morning, and I had library duty. After saying goodbye to Jasper and Leah, I headed to the library. Even with everything we paid for this school, they still expected you to help and volunteer. I should be bitter, but my job was lonely, so having this weekly commitment at least got me out of my home office.

I walked towards Mrs. Smith the librarian to see what was on deck for today. "Hi Alex honey, how are you? I have just the job for you today. Can you carry the new boxes of books we received from the back room to the main part of the library? I was saving them for you since you can handle this job easier than the moms. The boxes are out back." Then she walked away.

"Sure Mrs. Smith." I said as she walked away without even waiting to see if I wanted the task.

She walked fast for a woman in her late sixties. If I weren't still scared of what my mom would say or my grandmothers if they were alive, I might have been offended. But she was an elderly lady and when she asked us, she wasn't asking it was more of an order. I chuckled as I walked to the back of the school to get the boxes.

"What's so funny?"

I looked up and smiled at Anjali. "I've been given orders from the big boss to haul the boxes from the back-storage room to the library."

"Here let me put my purse down and I'll help you."

"The boxes are heavy Anjali."

"What are you implying Alex?" she asked with her eyes daring me to say something.

"Come on, let's go."

For the next three hours we hauled boxes and opened them and filed away the new books.

At eleven thirty Mrs. Smith came up to us. "Thank you both for your hard work. It's unbelievable how fast you unpacked these boxes. The new books will thrill the kids."

"You're welcome." We both said at the same time and started laughing.

"What are you doing now?" I asked Anjali.

She looked down at her dust-covered clothes and then back up at me as she tucked her long hair behind her ears. "I'm going home to change."

"Take a detour and have lunch with me? I'm starving and would love the company." We had been so busy this afternoon I hadn't had time to banter with Anjali in our usual manner.

"But I look a mess." She said biting her bottom lip. She seemed torn between saying yes and going home.

"We'll look like a mess together." I countered as I pointed at even more dust on my jeans and t-shirt.

She smiled and laughed. "Okay, you're even messier than me. Where can we go looking like this?"

"Do you like Vietnamese?"

"I love Vietnamese."

"Then I know just the place. It's walking distance from here." And with that we headed towards the restaurant.

"I've never been here. This looks so cute." Anjali said.

The restaurant was nothing fancy; it was a hole in the wall place with great food. Bland ambiance but food to die for.

We sat at a table for two. The waitress handed us two lunch menus. "Excuse me miss, can we have the regular menu too?" I asked.

Anjali looked at me oddly.

"There are a few things here that are out of this world. Can I order for us?" I asked.

"Sure, I don't eat pork or beef otherwise anything else works."