Ch. 28: Should I tell Her?

Start from the beginning

"But Beca, don't let yourself get stuck on that night and haunted by regret. Maybe you could've stopped it, maybe you couldn't. Sometimes, bad things just happen no matter what. And sometimes, as much as I hate to say this, we need those things to happen to remind us of what's important. And what's important is that your mom loved you, more than anything, and nothing said or done could ever change that. And what's especially important is that we hold on to the people we love, for as long as we can and as much as we can; cos every moment we share with them is truly spectacular. And it's those moments that make our lives better"

His words were like pulling out a knife that had been sitting in her heart for far too long. Especially, the ones about her mom. But in that last statement, she knew he wasn't just trying to uplift her, but also talking about Chloe. This made Beca ask:

"What if you're not good for that person?"

"Well, most who aren't are usually too selfish to even consider that question" he smiled at her.

Beca started to get emotional again as she scoffed and asked, "What do I do?"

"That's all up to you Bec"

The brunette tried to think for a moment before her phone buzzed. She took it out and swiped it open to see a text from Benji. She had asked him to inform her of Jesse's return and it was exactly what she was waiting for.

"I need to go" she stated while putting her phone away.

"Ok" he nodded with a smile.

He then stood up to give his daughter a hug, which she gladly accepted. She cried a little in the hug, glad she finally had this talk with him and how it brought them close again.

"Call me later?" he asked once they separated.

"I will, I promise" she smiled back.

He gave her a kiss on the forehead before escorting her out. He told her to stay safe and she waved at him while walking away. She continued smiling to herself as she walked, joyous about what had occurred. But now, she had something else to take care of.

Since campus was just down the street from her dad's house, it didn't take long for Beca to return. She went straight to his dorm room, catching the familiar wif of popcorn, and knocked on the door. She got no answer. He must've known she was coming.

"Jesse, I know you're in there. I can smell popcorn" she said and he removed his headphones, contemplating whether or not he wanted to talk to her.

"Jesse, come on, open up" she knocked again and he reluctantly got up and answered the door. "Hey, I tried to call you. I left you a bunch of messages" she nervously began.

"Yea I got em" he uncheerfully nodded, but Beca expected this.

"I'm sorry that we fought. I was mad and I overreacted and I'm just.... Aubrey makes me crazy" she nervously laughed.

"Seriously? You think I'm mad because you yelled at me?"

"No, I know-"

"No, you don't. You think you know, but you don't. You constantly try to push away anyone who could possibly care about you. Why is that?"

Beca hesitated before answering.

"I don't know. I guess I just get scared about them getting hurt"

"Oh, but you'll hurt them instead?" Beca shamefully averted her gaze from that. "Look, in the world we live in, there's no telling what could happen to us. So, what safer place to be than by your side?"

"It's different this time" Beca argued.

"No, it's not. It's not different at all. Beca, you're good at keeping people safe, and you need to start trusting your ability to do that"