Ch. 24: A Hero Lost

It was now the day of Semi-Finals. The Bellas were about to start their final rehearsal before leaving, feeling anxious and ready for their next big performance. All of them except for one in particular, who had her mind elsewhere.

In the past few weeks, Beca had been struggling more and more to deal with the past events that had taken place. Everything about her that could've been affected, everything she had worked to improve this year, was beginning to crumble. Her mental health and her ability to endure had been getting worse. And her fears and frustrations had skyrocketed. She couldn't help but feel slightly responsible for what Luke had become. And now, he was somewhere out there with abilities that were beyond imposing. Not to mention, he had a thirst for vengeance that very few, if any, could match. The threats he made that night were impossible to forget. Her identity was now exposed to her worst enemy. Every person she knew, every person she had ever loved or cared about, was now a target. Just the very thought of that fact was driving her mad. To top it all off, the police seemed to want her more than ever now. They were after her with more force, more effort, and more fury than ever before. All together, the result was the city losing faith in their friendly neighborhood Spidey. And as much as she hated to admit it, she was beginning to lose faith herself. She felt more lost and more helpless than ever.

It had gotten so bad that she even missed the past few rehearsals. She hadn't even gone out as Spider-Woman since that last day. The world had begun to wonder where the wall-crawler had gone off to, fearing what this could mean given the circumstances. But more importantly, Beca's friends had grown increasingly worried for her. It wasn't like Beca to miss out on rehearsals, especially with Chloe there. Even Aubrey herself had grown concerned for the petite brunette. But none of them worried more than a certain redhead. Beca had hardly spoken a word to her in the past days, which was even more alarming than her missing rehearsals. Chloe had desperately tried to talk to Beca and get some answers, but there was nothing Beca was able to tell. She wanted to tell Chloe everything, but now was the worst of times. Chloe knew something was up, knew something was bothering her, but she couldn't get her to say what or why. She tried to give Beca her space in case she needed it, but this whole thing was killing her. Seeing Beca like this, not knowing what was wrong, not being able to get some answers; it was torture. Fat Amy had tried to cover for her bestie, telling the others she was going through something but couldn't say what. But with Semis around the corner, she tried to get Beca to come to rehearsals today. But it was no use. She barely got a word, let alone any real response, from her roommate. Beca was just unable to face them without thinking about Luke's threats. The fear of what may happen to them, especially Chloe, just wouldn't escape her mind. It was also too painful to face Chloe without being able to tell her what was wrong. Seeing Fat Amy arrive at rehearsals without the DJ was unpleasant, to say the least, for the singing ladies.

"Still nothing?" Chloe asked as she walked up to Amy upon entering.

"I'm afraid so" the Aussie replied.

Chloe sighed both worriedly and frustratedly. She thought for sure she would arrive today. The Bellas all carried the same expression as the ginger. This was the day of Semi-Finals. They needed her, and Chloe needed her.

"I'm sorry red, but I'm sure she'll come with us to the show"

"But what's going on with her? I just want to help" Chloe pleaded.

"I know red, but it's not my place to tell. I'm sorry" she reluctantly replied.

Chloe sighed again as she averted her gaze.

"Chloe, hey" Aubrey came over to her best friend's aid. "I'm worried about her too and you know I am, but we may just need to focus on tonight"

"How can I bree? She may need our help, and I don't see how you can think about tonight either"