Ch. 28: Should I tell Her?

"Hey dad" Beca said once her father opened the door.

"Beca" he replied in surprise, having not actually spoken to her in a while. "What is it honey?

"You have a minute?"

"Sure, of course"

He let her inside and made her some tea as she told him about her journey with the Bellas. She didn't say anything about her problems as Spider-Woman though, that was still under wraps. She told him everything from the beginning to the fallout, to their second chance, and even Chloe. Although he's met Chloe once before, Beca hadn't told him about their relationship. But after seeing the two of them that day, it didn't surprise him, and he was delighted to hear about it. Although it did hurt a little that she never mentioned it before, and even more so when she explained how it ended. She did however also explain the message she got from her earlier. She even went on how much she truly enjoyed being a Bella.

"No one was more surprised than me, but I... really liked those weird girls" she stated with honesty.

"And you uh...thought quitting was the answer?" he wondered as he poured her tea.

"Seriously? You can say that to me?"

"Oh, come on Beca, that's so unfair" he said as he sat on the stool across from her at the kitchen island. "Look, I know I was a little pushy with the whole sending you off thing, but I just wanted you to be happy and have the life you deserved, like any parent. That wasn't because I didn't wanna deal with you" there was a moment of silence as Beca's dad let his words sink in. "And as for Sheila, I know she was very sudden and very fast, but I wasn't quitting on or forgetting your mother. I just had to move on, and she wouldn't have wanted me to just mope around and grieve for her. But I do still love her, and I miss her everyday, just like you"

"I know dad" Beca averted her gaze.

"And I tried so hard to make things work between us, but you just...shut me out"

"Yea, well, I shut everybody out. Don't take it personally, it's just easier"

"Yea, but it's also really lonely"

That hit Beca right in the gut. Lonely was exactly how she had been feeling during this break. It was how she felt on the day her mom died, when they had that last talk and Beca pushed her away. She remembered feeling lonely and guilty, both when watching her drive away and after she had died. She felt that way a lot lately, especially when she wasn't letting people in. It made her miss all her friends all that much more, especially Chloe. It also made her think a lot about her mom and part of the reason Beca distance herself from her father so much. And now that she was here and in this moment, she knew it was time.

"There's something I need to tell you, about the day mom died" Beca stated and her dad was caught by surprise.

Beca didn't reveal anything Spidey-related of course, but she did tell him the rest. She told him about where she really was that night, that last talk between them, and how her death was the consequence of her actions. She and her dad both had tears as she spoke, but he seemed to be taking it real well.

"Mom... died that night... just for being the one person... to do the right thing. But it should've been me, I've should've done it" there was another pause as she gained the courage to look her father in the eye again. "I wanted to tell you so many times, but I couldn't. It's... part of the reason why I... pushed you away I guess"

Another minute went by before he took in a breath through the nose, wiping away his tears as he did. He sighed it out before managing to courageously respond.

"Um...I'm glad you told me the truth, and I'm so proud of you for it. This was... a very brave thing of you. I'm grateful for this and.. I love you... no matter what" that had lifted so much weight off of Beca's heart. She had feared what confessing to her dad would lead to so many times. She never thought he would take it so well.