Chapter eight: The Dream

"....her eyelids drop heavy as she finally gives into the slumber and spirals off into a beautiful dream."

April was walking in the foothills, feeling a strong connection with them as if she'd been there before.

She saw a young woman walk nearby and was astounded by the similar features they shared.

Gwen awkwardly balancing a basket filled with juicy grapes on her waist while working on her steps.

April felt like she knew this woman. She paced forward to get a closer look, eventually stopping and gasping, her heart in her throat: it was her mother.

They stood feet apart, finding each other's gaze finally.

Gwen smiled from ear to ear, dropped her basket and ran towards April, hugging her tightly.

It was as if everything in the universe anticipated this moment. Or a story of a fortune teller came true that sold a script saying that the seven seas shall unite, the lands shall collide, and their fates shall coincide bringing them together. The mountain caps like a cake's frosting could explode a volcano of happiness. There were whispers amidst the valleys in the warmth of the air stroking on their cheeks.

April sobbed heavily in her embrace, breathless, unable to speak. Words weren't found necessary to be exchanged. What had to be conveyed was obvious, it held no mystery: there they were in a vast landscape that expanded to every corner of the earth, yet they were cocooned in their own little world.

Gwen stroked her daughter's hair soothingly while kissing the top of her head.

April spoke between her chokes, "Oh, mother, hold me like this forever."

Words weighed down her tongue too heavily for her to utter even a single one of comfort. God it hurt, it hurt so much and she trembled beneath every ounce of it.

Gwen's whispered into her hair, "Darling I'm never letting you go."

"I miss you mum. Where are you?"

"Resting against the earth's chest, darling. But in your heart I'll be found."

"Without you I feel lost."

"I never left you, be patient until the dawn."

"Mum hold me like this, I missed your embrace."

"Darling turn to God, He's your saving grace."

"Mum, I'll love you until my last breath."

"Darling, I'll love you way after we've met again."

April woke up. The stillness of the night air disturbed as it was pierced by her distressed breaths. She wept like never before.