XXII

Corinth raced back to my house and didn't say another word the entire ride. When we were at my front door she asked me to get the book and come out as soon as possible. I didn't understand why she wanted the book or if I should even give it to her, but I knew I trusted Corinth so I didn't question it.

I got the book and when I got back in the car Corinth asked me about it.

"I found it on this one shelf in the archives where I work. All the books on that shelf talk about things before stratums were created." I told her. I looked outside the window and didn't recognize the scenery. "Can you please tell me where we're going?"

Corinth grimaced. "Let's just say you're life is going to get a lot more complicated Cecil."

I was starting to get scared. Corinth probably sensed it too because she took one hand off the wheel and gave my shoulder a comforting squeeze. "It'll be alright. Tell me about what you learned from the books."

This was what I wanted wasn't it? So I told her. I told her everything I read, from the beginning with the president and the broken states, to our state and the Founders, to the creation of the stratums, the scientist who shared my last name researching our tattoos, the next leaders using those tattoos to sort us into our stratums, to those same leaders banning us from interacting with other stratums, and ending with the fact those sorted in Colorless might just be people who didn't match the chart.

Corinth was silent again. She took a deep breath and then stopped the car. I looked outside again. We were on the edge of the Creative stratum, I could tell because the giant barbed fence was in sight. There was nothing but abandoned metal scrap houses here.

"Where are we?"

She didn't answer me, just got out of the car. I scrambled to follow her, holding the fragile book to my chest. As I lagged behind her I saw a silhouette of a bear appear on the back of her calf. She stood in front of one of the metal buildings and knocked in some kind of rhythm. Soon, the door opened. Corinth finally turned around and waited for me.

"Come on." She urged.

Inside the building was dimly lit with old gas lamps and the bluish lights from computer screens. I nearly screamed when I realized there were a few people inside with us. They all varied in age and gender.

I looked at Corinth. "Wha-?"

"When you asked me if I already knew the Branding system was corrupted, the answer was yes. Everyone in here knew that. We also know the Stratum laws are unfair and we know even worse things. I brought you here because that book can reveal so much more. It's like the full picture instead of random puzzle pieces."

I looked around at the people one more time. They looked like they've been living here in hiding. "What is this place for? Who are they?"

One man stood up. He was tall with a salt and pepper beard and his voice was gruff. "The leaders of our state don't want anyone knowing anything about the stratum system. You say you got a book? It's probably a bit older and doesn't even state the horrible things being done now. But if you find out, and the leaders find out you know, they try to throw you in jail. We're all escapees, wanted men."

My jaw dropped and I gasped. I couldn't believe it.

Corinth spoke up. "The people here right now are the ones in hiding. There are more. People who live regular lives but sometimes come here whenever they have news. Some people even come from across stratums."

"What do you guys plan on doing?" I exclaimed.

Corinth ran a hand through her black hair. "We don't know. We just need justice, and we need the truth."

I turned so I was directly in front of Corinth's face. "What are the leaders doing?"

She looked me dead in the eye again, serious. "Very, very bad things Cecil."

I was getting frustrated. I gave her the book and crossed my arms. She walked over to a girl by one of the computers and gave it to her, telling her a quick summary of what I told Corinth. The girl was about to say something in reply when a beeping came from her computer. She turned to face it and looked back to the rest of the people.

"Another guy's been caught."

Everyone got up and crowded around the computer. I followed and tried to see what they were looking at and mumbling about. I pushed my way to be near Corinth and looked at the screen. All of a sudden the breath was knocked out of me and I felt my heart constrict.

No.

Wes' mug shot was on the tiny computer screen.

He was in jail.