XXVII

Wes didn't let the discussion go any further.

"Cecil has to go home before it's too late and someone gets suspicious." He said abruptly. The other guys traded looks but didn't say anything. Corinth stood up, wiped her palms on her pants and offered to take me but Wes shook his head. "I got it."

Turtle's eyes got wide. "I don't think that's a good idea boss." Corinth and Lila agreed and I was even hesitant to accept his offer. He was still weak and what if the government was out looking for him? However Wes ignored everyone and made a move for the door. Every step he took was slow and stiff and I followed him just to make sure he wouldn't fall over.

"Wes," I tried, "I think it'd be better if you stay here. It's risky."

I placed my hand on his arm and he looked right into my eyes. Even though he looked exhausted and gaunt his eyes still held a spark. "You risked your life to come get me. I can handle taking you home."

No one argued anymore. I guess everyone really respected Wes as a leader. I said my goodbyes and together Wes and I slipped out into the night.

The drive home was awkward. Wes didn't say a word the whole way back and I didn't know if it was because he was being safe, he didn't have anything to say, or he didn't have the energy to speak. I just sat there with my hands in my lap, looking out the window while biting my lip. I had to restrain myself from stealing glances at Wes, but really I wanted to inspect every inch of him and figure out how bad his condition is really.

My street was dark and quiet and when we arrived at my house Wes stopped the car and quietly sat there with his hands still gripping the wheel. After a beat I moved to open the door when his hand shot out to grab mine. I jumped a little and looked at him curiously.

"Did they tell you about my mother?" His voice was a low grumble. I nodded even though he wasn't looking at me. "Please - please don't do anything stupid. You don't know how bad things are, the things they'll do to you." He shifted his gaze to me and I could see how serious he was, but also how scared. He was scared for me.

I squeezed his hand. "I'll be careful. It's you I'm worried about."

Wes offered me a weak smile and let go of my hand. He pointed his chin to my house and I took that as my cue to leave. I opened the door and walked up my front steps but I didn't go inside until Wes was completely out of view.