Chapter 1: Found at Midnight

It was just, there one day. Or so Marshall thought. He'd walk outside, and see a pair of dark, red eyes in the underbrush, hiding, but watching. Something about these eyes felt really familiar, but unknown at the same time. One time, he tried to approach, and a red flash darted away. He'd always sigh and go "What is that?" He didn't know. He wanted to know so bad what it was, but he was sure he wouldn't, for whatever unfathomed reason. Though, he felt the eyes watching him everywhere. School, home, even his own bedroom. They were everywhere, following and tracking his every move. "Marshall!" His mom called. "Dinner is ready, sweetheart!" She said, her voice projecting to his room. He stood up, opening the croaking frog that was his bedroom door. He stepped out, his sneakers squeaking on the hardwood as he entered the kitchen. He looked at his mother's Audino, who helped in the kitchen. He smelled the air. It smelled of turkey, stuffing, and a fresh gravy. "You made a good dinner, mom." He said, walking over. He made himself a plate, sitting down at the table. His mom sat in front of him. "Marshall.." She spoke, softly. "You've seemed out of sorts, lately." She said. "What's wrong, dear?" Marshall just stared at his plate. "Mom, do you ever feel like something is watching you?" He asked. "Well, not really, dear. It's not a normal feeling to have all the time." She said. He looked left, seeing the looming pair of red eyes that couldn't be identified. His mom looked, as she saw that he was staring intently at something, but she saw nothing, as the eyes fled. "I just-" He was stopped by his mom. "Finish your dinner, and go to bed, sweetheart." He wanted to protest, but his mom continued. "You're tired." She said. He glared, wanting to say something, but couldn't. "Ugh, fine.." He growled, finishing his food. He threw the paper plate away, walking to his room, irritated now. He sat in bed, looking at the ceiling. He felt the ever-piercing eyes on him again. He looked at the window, and blinked a few times, before realizing what was there. He almost screamed, but instead bit his pillow, which he had grabbed. It was tapping on the window, as if it wanted to be let in. It was a Midnight Lycanroc. He looked at his phone. "Midnight.." He said. "I'm hallucinating.." He said. He stood up, walking out and splashing freezing cold water on his face. Marshall walked back into his room, and it was still there. He didn't understand. He realized it was this that had been watching him the whole time. "Lycanroc..?" He approached the window, looking at his eyes. They seemed almost longing. As if he was missing something. A look he's never seen in a Midnight Lycanroc before. Marshall, almost against all his morals, opened the window. The Lycanroc climbed through the window, standing bipedally. He looked into Marshall's eyes, almost sad looking. Marshall was confused. Why was this Lycanroc treating him with so much respect? He was still trying to figure it out, when he felt it's arms wrap around him, pulling him into a bone-crushing hug. "W-woah!" He exclaimed. It let go, hearing his cry. Marshall then got struck with realization. Blue irises, just like his Rockruff from 5 years ago. "No, that's not possible." Marshall said, his voice shaky. "You can't.." He couldn't understand. He sat on his bed, hugging his knees tightly. "You're not him, you can't be. I lost him such a long time ago.." He said. But the Lycanroc crawled up on the bed, lying in Rockruff's old favorite spot, curled up exactly like Rockruff used to. "You.." He stuttered, his vocal cords protesting with all the pressure he felt in his throat. He wanted to scream, cry, and hug this Lycanroc as tight as he could. This was his old Rockruff, or, he thought so anyway. Marshall wanted to see if maybe it knew other things. "What was his favorite toy..?" He said, digging through his closet. He pulled out an old and worn looking chew toy. He showed it to the Lycanroc. "Hey." He said, getting it's attention. His eyes lit up, and he practically ran and took the toy from his hands, gnawing on it.

"You are him. You came back." Marshall said, dumbfounded.