46

I wake up, with the wounds stills fresh, as the sun shines through the curtains. I get up from the floor and instantly spot Christopher sleeping heavily on the bed. Memories of last night came back into my mind as tears subconsciously fell out of my eyes. How could he lay his hands on me? I thought he loved me. I couldn't help but press my hand over my mouth, muffling my faint sobs. I run to the bathroom unable to keep it in.

I cry and cry until no more tears came out, but how very wrong I was. The tears seems to be never ending as it falls down my cheeks like an ever flowing waterfall. Unable to even stand steadily on my feet, I seek the help of the sink to balance myself. I drop my gown down to the floor, standing there naked. I walk over to the full size mirror examining the extent of the bruises.

The slap on my cheeks which is the slightest rose in colour is barely noticeable and I'm sure with some heavy makeup it would blend right in looking like a blush. The bruises on my body however told a different story. There were patches of red spots on stomach and my upper hand, ones that even makeup won't be able to hide.

I slide into the shower, the hot water burning against my skin. All the while, all I could think of was what have I gotten myself into? Questions kept replaying in my mind. 'Had I done something wrong? It had to be my fault. No person would get as angry as Christopher did without a reason. It surely had to be my fault' I reassure myself.

I step out of the shower and throw away my now torn and useless night wear. Caroline had specially bought it for me. She said I needed to look sexy. I could help but laugh at that now. Look where the dress ended up.

I leave the bathroom and my eyes go wide as I see Christopher sitting on the couch facing me. My throat dries as I am unable to say anything. He just stared at me. Nothing else. I could feel my heart beating and that was the only thing I heard through the room. He continued to stare at me and I found myself staring back at him, afraid that if I break my eye contact, all hell would break loose again. I could no longer control my hands as they started shaking and trembling. I felt sweat drip from my face, but I wasn't sure if it was sweat or my tears.

"Come here" he says softly motioning the empty space next to him. On one side I was terrified of approaching him and on the other, even more terrified to find out what he would do if I don't.

I near him cautiously and unwillingly. He pulls me by my hand sending spikes of fear throughout my body. I say next to him, shaking and afraid to let tears out. He looks at me, his eyes soft unlike yesterday. "I'm sorry" he says. I almost think that I imagined it but I didn't. He held my hand, even though I was scared of his every touch. "I- I didn't know what came over me. I am so sorry" he repeats again.

I nod unable to say anything. Forgiving him was far more complicated. And forgetting was far from impossible. "Why don't we go out for breakfast?" He offers like nothing happened. I nod again, not wanting to get on his bad side again. "Okay, get ready. We will leave in twenty five minutes okay?" I nod again and he stares at me. I take this time to escape out of his grip. I take my suitcase and head into the bathroom, falling on the floor while the cries that were forces inside me all the while came loose.

He apologised to me. But surely there had to be a reason behind yesterday's scene. He loved me and he would never intentionally hurt me.

Maybe he doesn't love you anymore.

No, of course he loves me.

Maybe he never loved you.

Then I will make him love me. I will make him fall in love with me. Just like I fell for Jake. I was more determined than ever. Taking my makeup bag, I applied as much natural make up as I can to cover any visible marks and I made sure to wear something long to cover any marks that could accidentally be seen. Finally looking at myself, I felt more than satisfied, but there was something missing. I opened the makeup bag once again and applied the lipstick he had bought for me. Surely he will like me in this. Applying generous amount on my lips just enough to be called hot, I make my way outside only to left with an empty room. A note flying in the wind caught my attention.

'Breakfast downstairs, See you soon'

The handwriting was hardly readable but I managed to take the message out. I double lock the doors and walk into the breakfast buffet.

Christopher's POV

I had drunk too much last night. My headache only became worse by the minute. Memories of last night flooded back to me as my eye lids opened rapidly. The room had been disoriented- chairs flipped, cushion seats thrown. The maids might think we had a crazy night, but only we know the truth. What have I done? How can I lay my hand on her? If my dad finds out... No I will never let him find out.

I hear the water running in the bathroom. I had to get my act together. She can't tell them. I won't let her. She walks out of the bathroom, looking straight ahead of me.

"I'm sorry" I say apologising to her. "I- I didn't know what came over me. I am so sorry." She continued to nod, afraid to even speak. Somehow I enjoyed her fear towards me. It made me feel... relaxed and calm. Shouldn't I feel guilty instead? "Why don't we go out for breakfast?" She nodded again. "Okay, get ready. We will leave in twenty five minutes okay?" With another nod she leaves to get ready. I leave her a note and leave the room. The awkwardness and tension in the room was just too much for me.

I wait in the breakfast bar, where the buffet was being served nearby. The amount of food here could feed a whole country. There were all sorts of food from seafood to Maldives' traditional breakfast Mas huni which was composed of tuna, onion, coconut, and chili. It was served with a flat bread and looked mouthwatering.

As I was about to dig into my food, I hear the sound of heels caterling. As someone whistled I looked up to see Ashley, making her way towards me. Her hair was let down and she even wore a fancy ass dress. Again with that damn red lipstick. Whose attention was she trying to get? Her cheeks flushed as she looked at the person who had whistled. She tucked a piece of hair behind her ears trying to look innocent.

I tightened my fist, getting furious by the minute. She acted like last night never happened. If anything, she should have learned a lesson from it. She deserved every moment of last night. As she took her seat in front of me, I stood up. He face held the most surprising reaction as she looked into my eyes. Regrets of marrying her rose within me. I storm off to the room, hearing the faint sounds of heels clacking behind me.

Ashley's POV

I follow behind him unable to keep up with his speed. I definitely knew what was wrong now. The man who whistled at me. Obviously Christopher was upset about that, but it wasn't my fault and I was sure to explain that to him.

I entered the room, looking at Christopher pacing back and forth, his hands clenched to his side. His eyes were dark and he ignored my presence even though he knew I was standing here. I lock the door behind me and remove my heels, which already started killing me. They were a gift from Caroline. He turns to look at me, then his eyes travel to my high heel shoes.

He rages towards me and my heart stopped beating for a second, knowing what was coming next.