Chapter 18

Spanish is a lovely language, but not so much when it comes in the form of profanities. Finn scrambled off me and onto his feet, but strangely he didn't look at my father. He stared at me through heavy-lidded eyes that gleamed as if he were drugged. His aura pulsed with every color in the rainbow, the green being especially vibrant and, surrounding it all, a halo of gorgeous white light. He stepped toward me but stopped when my dad's voice seemed to penetrate his fog.

"This is the trust you asked for, Cora? See it? It's on the floor. Smashed! And you!" Dad pointed at Finn. Finn's head snapped to my dad. He looked confused, like he'd just remembered that my dad was in the room. His hands shook slightly. What was wrong with him?

My dad continued his tirade. "You have to know that climbing into my daughter's bedroom window is the epitome of disrespect to this household. To her! Did you think about that?"

"It wasn't my intention—"

"I know all about your intentions, kid. I was your age once, too. Get out!"

"Dad!"

My father pointed his finger. Brownish-red flowed from his hand toward me, like he was trying to cast a spell, and I could do nothing to deflect it. He threw his fury at me like filthy garbage. I recoiled.

Finn held up his quivering hands. "I'm sorry. It's my fault. All of this is my fault. Please don't yell at her."

My dad strode over to him. Right up in his face. "You keep your Irish ass away from my little girl, you hear me? I don't want you anywhere near her! Ever!"

"Stop it, Dad! Finn, just go. I'll talk to you tomorrow. Go."

Finn held a shaky hand up to touch my arm. But it fell to his side. His eyes were tortured as he left. I wanted to run after him. To comfort him. Screw my father and his heavy anger, his smashed trust. His controlling. It hurt me to see Finn's defeated colors, to feel his pain. He looked positively tormented.

My feet moved me toward the door, but Dad stopped me. "You are not to leave this house. I will lock you in, Cora. I swear I will."

Meanness like I'd never known burst out of my body. "No wonder she left you!"

Dad shuddered and I knew, true or not, my strike had hit its target. We stared at each other. His body went as rigid as steel. He left my room and, a few seconds later, I heard the car screech out of the garage, leaving me with more rage than I knew what to do with. I wanted to get it out of me and had nowhere to direct it. So, I did what I always did when I was upset. I ate. And every bite was like swallowing my own venom.