Far, Far From Home

Feet crushing the grass below them, I sprint all the way home to collect my things. I pause a little to catch my breath before opening my front door, and bolting to my room. 

Throwing the doors open to my closet, I dig for my water canteen and sleeping bag. I roll my sleeping bag up and push my canteen into it. I shove various articles of clothing in after it. I grab a notebook and pen, and force it down my pocket. 

Before I run out the back door, I vaguely grasp at a pile of change and a pack of Winstons. I roll the cigarette pack up into the sleeve of my shirt and shut the back door behind me. As I turn to round the back corner of my house, I see my dad's car roll into the driveway.

"Shit." I whisper under my breath. I can hear him slam the door shut and stamp his way into the kitchen. 

I bolt down the road as fast as I can, in no discernable direction. My main priority was to just go

Running down an unfamiliar street, I run face first into a familiar chest. I stumble back and look up to see Eyeball; Ace stood behind him. I could see Ace wince a small bit when Eyeball shoved me back.

I fall to the ground, my palms behind me-- staring up at the two of them.

"Where the fuck are you going?" Eyeball spits out.

I watch Ace's hand grab Eyeball's shoulder and pull him back. He leans into his ear and hisses like a true cobra. Eyeball's eyes glaze over, and he nods-- walking out of the alleyway. I barely even took in my surroundings as I was running. My bag fell to the ground, with its contents partially spilled. 

I look up to Ace, confused. He steps towards me and reaches out a hand for me. I take it, and he pulls me up. 

"What?" I ask, panting and confused. 

"You're lucky as fuck that I was here for you kitty." He pulls me into a hug.

I stand stiff and still, what was happening? This is the Ace Merrill? 

After a moment of silence, I step back defensively, afraid of him. He hurt Chris. I hold fear in my chest as I look over Merrill.. he was so sweet that other night.

His eyes fade from compassion into hurt. "I'm not gonna hurt you." He winces at me, "Did you--"

He throws his gaze away over his shoulder and turns from me. 

"Of course you did." 

My breath shakes deep in my lungs, I let my shoulders drop and relax. I look to him, obviously in pain from it.

I really just assumed he'd hit me. Maybe I'm no different from anyone else. I reach out a hand to touch Ace's shoulder, but pull back. I turn on my heels and enter back onto the main road-- catching Chris and Gordie in my view. They were running. Why were they running?

Chris grabs me by the collar of my shirt and pulls me along, running with them. He whips his head back and lets out a laugh.

"Jesus, Gordie Lachance is shooting up Castle Rock!"

My gaze focuses on Gordie as we come to a halt from our sprinting. 

He looks angry. "You knew it was loaded, you wet end!" He screams to Chris.

I put my hand out to touch Lachance's shoulder to calm him. He looks from Chris, to my hand, up to me.

Chris sighs, "Hey, Gordie. I didn't know it was loaded. Honest." 

Their eyes meet once more, and the tension is still tangible, but  not as thick as it once was. Gordie squints his eyes tight at Chris. "You swear? On your mothers life-- even if she goes to hell 'cause you lied?" He asks