The Royal Blue

(A/N I'm back from my hiatus :) thank you guys for sticking around and continuing to enjoy the story. I'm getting back in my groove and will hopefully become more consistent with posting. This one is a little shorter than usual, but there are big things coming!)

High pitched frequencies radiate from the handheld radio that Teddy had been carrying. He tunes it back onto K.L.A.M Radio-- his personal favorite.

Hey we're back here with the bossman Bob Cormier. From the racks and stacks it's the best on wax! It's the Chordettes with Lollipop!

Vern's entire body fills up with excitement as the rhythmic beat of the tune bounced about from the trees and the tracks. He rapidly taps Teddy's arm with increasing urgency as the song began. Teddy nods back at him with his oh-so-familiar smile. 

As the lyrics begin, somewhat offbeat; Teddy and Vern begin to shuffle from left to right with small bits of chittering laughter between them. Then, they stop on the beat and make a loud 'POP!" with their cheek and forefinger before continuing to shuffle. They seem more than proud of themselves as they continue to shuffle into the first verse.

I shake my head lightly, "God you two are absolutely insane." I laugh.

Teddy puts an arm over my shoulder, and waves a hand into the space in front of him; "You think anything we're doing right now is a good choice? Enjoy it and fuck around with us." 

"Touché" I say, before wrapping my arm under Teddy's side and picking him up over my shoulder. 

Vern's shock was quite blatantly plastered upon his face, and it made Teddy absolutely revel in laughter.  

I smile at him, "You're gonna regret saying that Duchamp." I say as I book it running with him over my shoulder. His screams and infections laughter echo through the trees as he writhes in my grip, attempting to free himself. 

Eventually, he knocks my hand off his back and crashes to the ground, his glasses falling off and clambering against the rocks on the tracks. He begins tapping around for his frames, which were only a few inches from his reach 

Vern and I absolutely howl with laughter as he yells, "You two dogfaces! Once I get my glasses, you're both as good as dead," his hand lands on his glasses finally, "Haha! A soldier never loses his instinct!" 

He quickly stumbles to his feet and points a finger towards me, "Better start running now, L/N. If I catch you, it's over."

I make eye contact with him for a short moment before turning on my heels and taking off. Now I was well aware he's faster than me,  but god damn did I run faster than I ever had in my life before. I get a small head start but I can hear his voice approaching as he calls after me. I take a deep breath and push every ounce of energy into my legs and even then, he catches up to me. He tosses his arms around my waist and runs into me, knocking me over. 

I feel the rocks from the tracks dig into my arms and side as I come clattering down. I hardly notice the pain as Teddy's laughter enters my ear and rings through my brain. I hear Vern panting as he catches up to the two of us still laid across the tracks. 

"Almost got away from me that time." Teddy smiles

"Really?"

His lips turn up as he tries to hold back laughter, "Not at all."

I sigh, "Figures." I lightly laugh to myself. 

He reaches out to touch my face, and lifts up my chin, "You did just fine sunshine. Just can't outrun a soldier." The tips of his fingers graze across my jawline carefully before he drops his hand. He nervously pushes his coke bottle glasses up the bridge of his nose before rubbing the back of his neck with his hand. 

He stands up in front of me and lends a hand to help me up. I place my palm in his, and he pulls me up. I dust myself off and shake my hair quickly.

Teddy's eyes fall away from mine, and to my forearm; which is bleeding from the rocks that dug into my skin when he bodied me.

"Oh! I'm so sorry Y/N-- I really didn't mean to" He nervously spouts. 

I furrow my brow in confusion, before lifting my arm to see a warm stream of blood dripping down it, "Don't sweat it Duchamp I hardly even noticed it. Don't get your drawers in a twist." 

Teddy reaches for his shirt that was tied around his waist, but I wave him off. I grab mine, and quickly swipe away most of the blood. I tie it around my forearm loosely, letting it catch any other drips. 

"Really, I could've used mine" He says, lightly shoving my shoulder

My smile creeps back to my face, "I've got it under control dude, wouldn't wanna stain your shirt anyway." I toss a hand through my hair lightly

"Ain't that a bite" He smiles. 

"No it's not a big deal Duchamp, you don't need to flip lid."

He smiles as he pats my shoulder, "You're a strong lady, I just know it Y/N"

I  look away from him, and over my shoulder to Vern; who has a look of awe on his face. His eyes widen as he shifts his gaze from me to Teddy, and back again. I raise an eyebrow in his direction before smiling and softly shaking my head.

We start on walking down the tracks again, and Vern turns to shout to Chris and Gordie.

"Come on you guys, let's get moving!"

Teddy snickers, "Yeah. By the time we get there, the kid won't even be dead anymore!"

I just turn and wave to the two of them, smiling. 

Far ahead in the distance, rushing water could be heard. 

"You think we might be close to the Royal?" Vern smiles

I laugh, "What else could it be Verno?" I pat him on the back lightly, still smiling. 

He looks to me and sighs, with a hint of a smile on his face, "Oh you know what I meant L/N" He rolls his eyes jokingly. 

Eventually, our pace evens out, and Chris and Gordie join us.  We all nod along to the music coming from the radio-- cutting to static as we got closer to the Royal River. Soon enough, not even a single note could be heard through the thunderous grey noises. 

Then finally, there it was in front of us in all its glory, the Royal River.