Running Home

(A/N, I'm gonna start moving on the plot here, I wanted to establish friendship between Y/N and the characters before throwing it directly into the plot. I will still continue to write chapters outside of the linear script.)

I wake up to the ruts in the wood digging into my hand. I was in the tree house, resting my head on the shoulder of a particularly sleepy Chambers boy. My smile lights up when I see him drooling on himself lightly. 

I go and pull out a chair for myself at the nearby table. I shuffle the cards, and lay out a hand of 31 for myself. Teddy taught me how to play-- it was easier than it sounded, all you have to do is get as close to thirty one by drawing. 

I flipped cards for myself quietly, not to wake Chris. 

Flip flip flip flip

Twenty five.

Flip

Thirty two. Bust.

I slammed my fists into the table in my moment of upset, and it shakes the coke bottles in the corner, creating a loud clatter. My shoulders tense, and my eyes shut hard, hoping that Chris was still asleep. My hand stung from the impact. I turn my head to see Chris still dozing off, alone in his dream world. 

He furrowed his brow in his sleep, and his mouth twisted awake. His eyes opened to see me sat alone playing cards and a couple of knocked over coke bottles.

I nervously laughed and gave him a little wave. His face lit up when he saw me.

"Whoops! Sorry for waking you Chambers." I muster.

He just laughs and shakes his head, "It's alright Y/N".

I wave him over for a game of 31, when a knock is heard throughout the tree house.

I push the table off the door and open it. Lachance climbs in, and takes a seat far in the corner where I had knocked over the coke bottles. He kicks his feet up on the table, and without speaking another word, turns on the radio and opens a comic. 

"Well, nice to see you too." I state, smiling. 

He pulls his nose out of his comic momentarily to just nod and return to his reading. 

I focus my listening to the radio as I lay out another hand of 31 for Chris, Gordie, and I.

Hey, it's bossman Bob Cormier here. It's a beautiful morning in Portland, it's 90 K.L.A.M. degrees and getting hotter.

The door flings open and in enters Teddy Duchamp himself. 

"Hey! Don't tell me you're playing my game without me. Deal me in Y/N." He laughs.

Up the ladder with another platter, it's Bobbie Day with Rockin' Robin

My breath hitches as I draw again. I look over to Chris, only to meet his gaze. He's got his usual smile smack dab at the center of his face again.  

"Hey, how do you know when a Frenchman's been in your backyard?"

Teddy shifts his gaze up from his hand, and his eyes fall on Chris blankly, "Hey, I'm French okay?"

Chris leans into the table and pulls the cigarette out of his mouth. He looks around the table for a response, and when he's met with silence, he continues. "Your garbage cans are empty and your dog is pregnant." He smiles.

I suppress a laugh beneath my breath as Teddy leans back in his chair in annoyance, "Didn't I just say I was French?"

Chris puts the cigarette back into his mouth and giggles, placing his cards face down onto the table.  "I knock."