The Twilight Zone

(A/N: hey :) long time. CW: Mentions of addiction and abuse)

That night was one of the hardest sleeps of my life. Even with my bedroll laid out on the forest floor, I could feel every rock and stick digging into my body. I swear, if I stood up, you would see the impressions of each pebble littered across my shoulders. It must've been an hour or two before I managed to drift to a light sleep. Lord knows my mind was rushing too fast to muster up any kind dreams.

I wake up in my old home-- before we moved. I was so scared to leave (Y/hometown), but now that I've been in Castle Rock; I could never go back to living the way I was.

There is a knock at my bedroom door before it slams open, and the knob hits the divot carved from years of mistreatment. It's my dad. He's been on a mean streak lately; there's been mass layoffs at work and his career isn't so comfortable anymore. It's been three years since mom left. She's around, but she's a shell of her former self.

My dad stumbles into my room; he's been drinking.

"Y/N, why are you always such a bitch? Why are you like this?"

He swipes his arm across the top of my dresser, knocking the pictures and books to the floor. My dad comes closer; I can't help but shrink into the corner of my bed. There was a time that he was kind and responsible, but that part of him has long-faded away. We used to go to the park together. We'd run around 'til he couldn't keep up anymore, then he'd take me to the local diner and get us a milkshake. Then we'd trot home and stargaze in our back field. I've always loved the night sky.

"I'm sorry dad. I'm so sorry." Tears begin welling up in my eyes.

He collapses to the floor on his knees, "Why did you make her leave? It's your fault." He's groveling on the ground, slurring his words. "I wish I had a different fucking kid."

His fist slams into the wood panels; he starts sobbing. My dad is inconsolable when he cries-- if I get too close, he'd just push me away. I've always hated seeing him cry. Even though he'd been less than kind lately, I knew there was a part of him that just needed to sit and look at the stars.

All I could muster was a small whimper, "I'm sorry."

I watch as my dad pushes himself off the floor and forces his way out of my room. The door whips shut as he leaves. There's nothing I can do to hold off the tears from pouring down my face as I stay seated in fear. Today was one of his good days. These were the days I prayed for; the days I could scrape by without a bruise or cut.

Even though we'd moved far from home, things were hardly any different. If anything, it had gotten worse now that mom was hours away. She was practically hollow, only speaking in incomprehensible whispers, unable to recognize me as her own blood. Now my dad had nobody else to live for. He made it clear I wasn't the reason he was still hanging on. I always feel so helpless and pathetic when I sit and cry-- but I never know what else to do. My whole world feels so out of grasp.

I wake up to the sound of a freight running down the tracks in the early hours of the morning. My eyes are puffy, but nobody mentions a thing. It seems as though the boys were also waking from the train. Gordie walks towards our little campsite, crushing leaves and sticks beneath his sneakers-- he's been awake for a while.

"Well shit, what a way to wake up huh?" Teddy laughs.

Having a moment to reflect on my dream, I let a small smile creep across my face. This felt like home.

Chris leans forwards, looking to Gordie with a sorrowful look that I don't quite understand. Gordie replies with a soft smile and sits down next to the burnt firewood from the night before. It seems like the childish conversation around the campfire last night was weeks ago. We were all waking up to the reality of Ray Brower growing.