Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

I raise my eyebrows, "Does she do that a lot?"

Darla nods her head, "Every weekend."

We continue to talk about this for the next ten minutes. The girl does remind me of myself. I was constantly running away from Darla when I first got placed with her. I didn't trust a single person for years. Probably ever really. It's not like I had the greatest relationship with my parents, and no one had given me any reason to trust them until Darla, and that had taken months.

I look over at Harry who had been silently listening to us. He didn't interrupt one time, instead just taking in our conversation. I could see the questions circling around in his eyes, the curiosity and concern when Darla says something about my past. I know he wants to know, but I'm still a little scared that he might not like what he hears.

Enough to realize that I wasn't good enough for him.

Harry lived in such a different world. Even now it must be so striking to see this misplaced group of people. None of us looked like we belonged. I had foster siblings I hadn't seen in close to five years, and some I had never actually met. Darla had been a foster mother for decades before I even came around.

I'm sure when I get to Harry's later I'll feel the same. I wonder if I'll be surrounded by crystal chandeliers and golden utensils. From what Harry tells me, his mother is one of the most famous heart surgeons in the country, and his stepdad owns a chain of jewelry stores. Not to mention his father owns one of the most lucrative financing businesses in the state.

The longer the day goes on the more nervous I get about meeting his family. What if they don't like me? Or they don't think I'm good enough for Harry. He speaks so highly of them, and I wasn't sure we would survive his family not liking me.

It was kind of making me panic a bit. What would Harry do if his parents didn't approve? Surely that would be hard for him, and he was naturally an emotional guy no matter how much he tried to play off that he wasn't.

Darla's phone rings, and she takes it out of the kitchen.

"Hey," Harry says, wrapping his arms around my waist, "what are you thinking?"

I smile at him, pecking his lips, "Nothing important."

He nods, "I like your family."

My smile widens, and I feel myself blush, "Really?"

"Yeah," he chuckles, "I really like Abel, and you know I love Darla."

I bring him in for a kiss. This time deep and meaningful. It's like he knows exactly what to say and when to say it. I press up against him, not being able to hold myself back. I hadn't been able to kiss him since we left his place this morning, and I didn't like that. I missed the feeling of his lips on mine, even though it had only been about four hours.

"Baby girl," he murmurs teasingly, "I told you not to get me too excited."

I pout, "But what if I want to."

He groans, "Don't."

I smirk, "Hey, Harry..."

He looks down at me with an amused smile on his face, "Yes, Dani?"

"Been reading more of your writing..."

"Yeah?"

I nod, "A few nights ago I read Watermelon Sugar." He smirks back at me. "Now tell me... is that about going down on a woman?"

"Hmm," He hums out, pretending to think, "maybe..."

"Let me be more specific." I say quietly, "Is it about going down on me?"