Chapter Eight

HARRY

"Goodnight, baby girl. I love you."

I tensed up immediately. Did I really just say that? Where did that even come from?

Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck.

I just fucking blew it. What kind of weirdo says I love you this quick. It's not even true. I can't love Dani. I met her not even a month ago. I've only really spoken to her like five times. We haven't even talked about what we were; if we were exclusive, or just messing around. I mean, I knew my answer and I've definitely been rather forward about my feelings, but she hasn't really told me anything.

I loosen my hold around her and back away as she turns around to face me. In the darkness her face is hard to read, but her eyes are shining bright and are full of disbelief. Before I can even say anything - like I would even be able to - she sat up and turned on her lamp, illuminating the room so we could see each other clearly.

"What did you just say?" She asked like she couldn't quite understand what had just slipped from my mouth, and I don't even blame her.

Fuck, I can't even understand what just came out of my mouth.

I open my mouth to respond, but nothing comes out. My mind is completely blank. She's just staring at me, waiting for me to say something, but I'm frozen. There's no way she's ever going to want to see me again. I just moved way too fast. She doesn't even date, why would I think it's okay to tell her I love her?

I don't even love her.

"Harry, talk to me." She presses, putting her hand on my arm.

She's staring at me with a slightly worried gaze now, and I just now realized how harshly I was breathing. I sat up quickly, and moved to the edge of the bed, trying to gather myself before I attempt to salvage this.

I feel the bed move and jump when I feel her hands rubbing my back and arm as she goes to sit right next to me. "Hey, breath. It's fine, I just need you to talk to me."

"I d-don't-" I breathe out. I take in two deep breathes and try again, staring at the ground, "I don't know why I said that. I don't feel that way, hell, I just met you. I don't even know how you feel about me. It slipped out, just- please, don't-" I swallowed harshly, "Fuck, I messed everything up. I always do this-" I muttered to myself before Dani cut me off.

"Okay, okay, just chill out for a moment. You didn't mess everything up, Harry. You think this is the first time a boy has proclaimed their love for me?"

I finally lifted my head to look at her, brows furrowed at her statement, to see her giving me a cheeky smirk.

"What?" I choked out.

"I mean, I totally get it. I'm very lovable. I just exude a feral aroma that demands to be loved." She teases.

I let out a strangled laugh, not believing just how calm she is. I would've freaked out if I were in her position, yet, here she is, taking my stupid words like a champ.

"You're not mad?" I ask her, just to make sure.

She rolls her eyes playfully, "Jeez, Harry, did you think I was going to kick you out of my bed and never see you again? It was a slip of the tongue. Do you know how many of my professors I've accidentally called mom?"

I laughed at her analogy, appreciative of her acceptance. This was the second time she's brushed something off, stuff that most people would either run for the hills over, or, at the very least, question whether or not they would want to continue this. As far as I could tell, Dani hadn't swayed her opinion of me, but I still wasn't sure what was going on in her head.