24

Jennie

Joohyun Calling.

I hit Ignore.

It's her fifth call in a row.

I don't have time for her bullshit games today.

My phone beeps with a text.

Joohyun: Quit ignoring my calls!

They released her from jail days ago. Surprisingly, the judge had granted her bail. Also surprisingly, Roger had paid it. She hasn't seen the kids or picked them up from my house, but the weekend is over. Joohyun always waits until the weekend ends to threaten me with seeing them if I don't give her money.

An hour later, Joohyun comes storming into my office with Yeri on her trail.

"I tried to stop her," Yeri says, shooting Joohyun a scowl before looking at me. "But I figured you'd frown upon me tackling your sister to the ground."

A smile twitches at my lips. Right now, probably not.

"I appreciate that."

Yeri isn't a Joohyun fan, and this isn't the first time my sister has barged into my office, barking out demands.

Yeri throws Joohyun another dirty look before leaving and makes sure to shut the door behind her. Joohyun tends to get loud during her visits.

Joohyun plops down on the chair in front of my desk. She's sporting the hungover look, complete with dark circles under her eyes and last night's makeup smudged across her face.

"Your secretary is a bitch," she snarls.

I fold my hands together, set them on my desk, and lean forward. "No, she isn't. Now, what's so important that you felt the need to visit me at my work, which I've asked you numerous times not to? This is a public office, not a place for me to handle my family issues."

Joohyun has never taken my job seriously. Oftentimes, it seems like she wants me to lose it.

She rolls her eyes. "I need money."

I cut her off before she can elaborate. "No."

She winces. "But—"

I interrupt her again. "I said, no."

"You're a goddamn bitch," she seethes. "I hate you."

The feeling is mutual.

I shrug. "If that's how you feel, then that's how you feel."

She bows her head. "I'm in trouble, and Jiyong still isn't answering my calls."

"That's nothing new, Joohyun. You're always in trouble, and your reasoning for needing money is never-ending, dramatic, Shakespearian bullshit. If Jiyong isn't giving you money, go back to the job you quit."

She lifts her chin and glares at me while I'm fighting with myself not to cave in. I'm a habitual pushover when it comes to Joohyun. Eventually, I grow tired of her pleading and give in. That's not happening today.

She lowers her voice. "Roger and I owe some men money." She continues before I get the chance to confirm she won't receive a cent from me. "Roger borrowed additional money on top of our debt to pay my bail!"

"How precious of him," I mutter. "He lives in your home, rent-free. He should help you."

"They're dangerous, Jennie. They can hurt me!"

"You are adults and capable of paying your own debts. I'm done bailing you out of your messes. Last time, when I said it was the last time, I wasn't lying." I push my hands forward before doing a scraping them clean motion. "No more."