10

Jennie

Jisoo Calling.

The Ignore button is hit.

I need space to get my head straight before we talk. We haven't done much of that since dinner at her parents'. She still tells me good morning, but it's brief before she leaves for work. Her truck was in the drive, but no lights were on in her house when I got home yesterday.

Hours later, Lisa's truck pulled up, and Jisoo stepped out. When she was unlocking her front door, Rosé yelled her name, ran up the porch steps, and handed her a pink balloon.

She grabbed it, laughed, and hugged her.

My phone rings again.

Jisoo Calling.

I hit Ignore.

It rings once more.

Jisoo again.

"Jesus, what?" I answer.

"You need to get to Garfield's Grocery," she says in a serious tone.

"Why? I'm working."

"Mingsoon was busted for shoplifting."

"Shit! Give me ten."

"Park in the rear lot, so no one sees you, and I'll let you in."

**

Jisoo is waiting for me when I pull into the parking lot. I speed-walk her way, and she moves to the side, letting me in without speaking. I curse with every step as I walk down a hallway lined with loaves of bread and pastries.

Damn it, Mingsoon.

Why did he shoplift?

Why didn't he come to me if he needed money?

Jisoo leads me into a dimly lit office reeking of mothballs. Mingsoon is sitting in a chair, and surprisingly, he's not wearing handcuffs. Mr. Garfield, the store's owner, is at his side, worry lining his wrinkled face. His wife is sitting in a chair behind an old desk, looking like she's ready to rip Mingsoon's head off.

I cast them a glance of apology, but only Mr. Garfield will make eye contact. Today isn't the first time someone from my family has shoplifted from here. My mom and sister were regular thieves. Mr. Garfield let it slide for a while but eventually started calling the cops. They ended up banned from the store after the tenth occurrence. I haven't been banned yet, but Mrs. Garfield keeps a watchful eye on me. Every visit, I slip extra cash in the tip jars at the registers to make up for my family's theft. Mr. Garfield's soul is kinder than his wife's.

"Seriously, Mingsoon?" I snap with a stressed sigh as soon as the door slams shut behind me.

Regret is clear on his face. Mingsoon isn't a troublemaker, but he's a survivor.

"Your family is filth," Mrs. Garfield hisses. "Thinking they can take whatever they want." Her glare cuts to Jisoo. "I don't know why this young officer is helping you and that thief."

My apologetic face turns cold, and my nails bite into my palms as I clench my fists. Don't say anything.

If I lose my cool, she'll take it out on Mingsoon.

"Enough, Mary," Mr. Garfield warns his wife.

Jisoo steps to my side and looks in her direction. "Mrs. Garfield, don't act like you've never needed a handout in your life."

I cringe at the word handout.

My blood pressure rises. We don't need handouts.

"I think they've had enough handouts," Mary answers with a sneer.