6🔞

Jennie

My stomach fills with dread when I see the name flashing across my phone screen. My finger wavers over the Ignore button for a few seconds but eventually moves to answer it.

I clench the phone in my hand. "Hello?"

"What is wrong with you?" Joohyun shrieks on the other line. "One of my friends said she saw you having breakfast with Kim Jisoo this morning."

My sister is best known for her overdramatic behavior.

Scratch that.

She's best known as being a scam artist.

An alcoholic.

An opportunist.

Overdramatic runs in fourth.

"Good morning to you, too," I grumble, rubbing my forehead.

I can't share pancakes with someone without it being talked about. Good thing I run the headlines in this town.

"Did you fall and smack your head? I know you're still mourning the loss of your snooze-fest relationship with Jongin, but Jisoo is bad news."

"Noted."

She's irritated, but her not continuing her rant confirms this isn't a courtesy call. She wants something from me.

"Go ahead and say it," I finally mutter.

"I need you to watch the kids tonight."

"I can't. I have plans."

I'm not a fan of helping and enabling her, but normally, I have no problem with babysitting my niece and nephew, Ella and Mingsoon. I wish she'd act like a mom and take responsibility for them instead of putting it all on me.

"With who?" she snaps, the attitude resurfacing. "Jisoo?"

Even though she can't see me, I tip my chin up. "My plans are none of your business."

We've never had a relationship where we share beauty secrets or boy advice. We only share conversations when it concerns the kids or she needs money.

"Do those plans involve Jisoo?"

I release a long sigh. "It's a work thing, not that it's any of your concern. I'm available after seven."

"Cool. I'll drop them off then."

The line goes dead.

Joohyun is as grateful to me for watching her kids as those obnoxious twits on My Super Sweet 16 for their extravagant birthday parties.

Helping her is expected of me—has been for years. Like my mother, whose demise will be her strict diet of vodka and endless opiates, she's entitled. If someone has something of value, she demands a slice. Free rides are hitting the jackpot, and Joohyun views me as her money train to support her partying.

I drop my phone in my bag before getting out of my car and heading to my office. My head throbs with every step I take up the stairs. It's not even lunchtime, and I've already dealt with Jisoo and Joohyun.

"Homegirl, you are in trouble," Yeri sings as soon as I walk in, her feet kicked up on the desk.

Her loud voice makes my head hurt, but it's nothing compared to the shrill of Joohyun's.

I shrug off my jacket and settle it on my arm. "I can be late for once."

She snorts and drops her feet, smoothing out her skirt. "I don't give two shits about your punctuality. What I'm referring to is, you looking like you were up all night, drinking or sexing it up—or possibly both."