Chapter 13

Chapter 13

(The Children at play--------->) 

Ellis’ car parked about a half a block from the steps of the Orphanage, I was excited to see Mrs. Russell. I haven’t gotten the chance to see her in the past couple of weeks thanks to the awful weather and my class schedule. Now, thanks to my wonderful boyfriend, I have the chance to check in with her and the children. And as I watched Ellis take the goodies from Thomas and make arrangements for him to pick us up later, I thought to myself I had to be the luckiest man in the world. Ellis gave me one of his gorgeous smiles as he made his way towards me and he refused my offer to help him carry the bakery boxes.

We climbed up the steps leading to the entrance of the building and I could hear the children’s voices already behind the heavy front door. The little ones must be in the front room having their mid morning playtime. That gave the other adults a chance to clean up the kitchen after the mass breakfast that they served everyone. The older kids would have been gathered onto the bus and taken to school by this time, so it was only the toddlers at home now, the sweet little cherubs.

 I knocked on the front door and glanced over at Ellis patiently standing there waiting right along with me when the thought occurred to me about the safety of his expensive suit and coat from sticky little fingers. I really wondered if they will survive the babies. Please let him love the little ones as much as I do. I silently prayed as the door swung open and I was immediately gathered into a rose scented bosom that was oh so familiar to me.

When I was finally released from the power hug, I turned to Ellis and performed the introductions. “Mrs. Russell this is Ellis, my boyfriend.” And I felt my face go thermonuclear when she raised an all knowing eyebrow at me and turned to give Ellis a through once over before smiling at him. “Um…Ellis this is Mrs. Russell, my mom for all intents and purposes.” I finished as we were both snagged by the elbows and dragged into the house.

We had barely set foot in the foyer when the little Devils converged upon us; the shyer ones hung back but the more precocious ones where front and center wondering what the tall man had in those pink bakery boxes. Kara, the little ring leader with bright red pigtails toddled over to us and looked up at Ellis with those big round bright hazel eyes of hers and immediately demanded his name and asked if was my friend, she fired off several questions including asking if he had brought them cookies.

I watched completely fascinated as Ellis handed the boxes over to a waiting Tabitha, another of the staff members that assisted with the babies during the day. My man patiently got down on one knee to make sure he was eye level with Kara before he answered. “Yes, I am Timothy’s friend, and yes, I brought you something much better than cookies for your afternoon snack. I hope no one here is allergic to chocolate?” He sing songed and laughed at the joyful reaction of the children.

 It’s like he had said the magic word and even the shy little ones toddled over and Ellis was immediately the center of attention. The man went even further to sit Indian style right there on the floor in the middle of five actively screaming toddlers and patiently introduced himself to all of them, giving each of them a compliment in return. It was awesome to watch, and if I didn’t love this man already, this would have been it for me. He owned me mind, body, heart, and soul.

“Come darlings, let gets the playroom cleaned up so we can have some of the treats Mr. Ellis has brought for us.”Mrs. Russell announced and once again the kids cheered and raced off towards the front room, they barely even paid me any attention since they discovered a new friend, and he brought them chocolate goodies. Yeah, he was way better than me, I laughed at myself.