15

Ukraine stood at the back of the group. Her eyes wide, she stayed alert, she didn't want to let Canada down.

"Who are you?" Asked a child who held their mother's hand. Their mother tugged them slightly, shaking her head.

She muttered a few things to the child, before the child looked back to Ukraine, then looked the opposite way.

Ukraine huffed. Guess it was the guns, huh?

Ukraine looked down to the both of the guns. Yeah, there was no way Canada was having these back.

They glinted in the scarce light that seeped through the gaps in the leaves above, they had scratches all over. Ukraine didn't mind it, though. They were still useable.

Ukraine jumped when she heard a rustling in the bushes. She froze, and pointed one of her guns from where the sound came from. Then, another rustle, but further up. She furrowed her brows, as all of the birds in the forest went silent. The world seemed as though it was holding its breath.

Suddenly, a shot echoes through the place. Ukraine twisted around, watching as an innocent dropped to the ground, shrieks of terror.

There were more shots. Ukraine ducked down, and identified where the bullets had been fired from. She shot at a bush with a silver barrel of a gun poking out of it, hearing a groan, and a thud. Ukraine didn't celebrate, though; there were still more of them.

She identified where the next one was, pointing her other gun to that person, and shot several times. She looked up, one clung to a tree and shot down at the innocents. Ukraine growled, as she shot the figure, he fell to the ground with a thump.

It was quiet again. Ukraine knew there'd be more of them further up.

"Ukraine!" She turned around, Canada was there, holding his arm. He'd been shot.

"Oh my god, are you alright?" Ukraine asked, running up to him and inspecting the wound. He huffed.

"I mean," Canada gestured to the group, "Just over ten are dead. That's not great."

Ukraine frowned, "You should get them on another route. I'm going to follow closer, if that makes any sense."

Canada nodded, about to walk off before Ukraine stopped him.

"You need to treat that bullet wound," Ukraine murmured, worried, "We both know that you bleeding out everywhere isn't good for you."

Canada huffed, and looked at Ukraine with a serious expression.

"We need to get everyone to safety first," Canada shrugged, removing his hand from his arm, which was now covered in dark, crimson blood. Ukraine tilted her head at the sight, she grabbed Canada's arm and inspected the wound, and shook her head.

"Do we have any bandages whatsoever?" Ukraine called, her gaze flicking to the countries, trying to revive the ones shot by covering their wounds and performing CPR for whatever reason.

"We only have a small bit left," Poland called back, he knelt by someone who'd been shot in the knee. "You'll have to use what's there."

Ukraine nodded as she took the small strip from Poland, she grabbed Canada's arm and pulled him closer to her. Canada yelped in surprise, but he went along with it.

Ukraine rolled up Canada's sleeve and tightly wrapped the bandages around his wound, Canada bit his lip - he wasn't used to this. He'd never been shot before, and god, did it hurt.

Once Ukraine was finished, she rolled Canada's sleeve down for him, and patted his arm.

"There," She nodded, still close to Canada, "You shouldn't bleed out as much as you were."

Canada sighed, grateful, and pulled Ukraine into a hug. She might have acted tough at times, sure, but to Canada, she felt fragile - he wasn't sure why, but he wanted to be gentle with her.

"Canada!" Ukraine giggled into his shoulder, hugging him in return. They stood there for a long moment, before they both hesitantly left the embrace.

"Thanks," Canada grinned at her, "I mean it."

Ukraine smiled at him back, as Canada turned his attention to the innocents, injured, dead and alive. Canada muttered curses under his breath and began to panic, dropping down onto his knees to help someone.

Ukraine stood, and looked away, scouting the area for any more of the Restoration. If they were here, they were following them, and she couldn't have that happen - she didn't want to let down over a hundred innocents, she didn't want to let down her teammates, and she didn't want to let down Canada.

As Ukraine wandered around the group, lost in though, she wondered what it was like in the city. The last she was there was years ago, she could barely remember what it was like. But now that is was overrun by Restoration troops and workers, she knew that she wouldn't be going back any time soon.

She hoped so, anyway.

"Ukraine," Ukraine looked up to see Canada, who'd just nudged her side, "We're gonna keep moving before they come back, got it?"

Ukraine nodded, and took Canada's wrist. She looked at him on the eyes.

"Are you okay, though?" She asked, gesturing to his arm and the group of people behind him.

"I'm fine," Canada chuckled in response, "Just a little stressed out, if you know what I mean. Someone tried shooting me because I'm the stand-in for leader-"

"You're the stand-in?" Ukraine interrupted, furrowing her brows.

"Well, yeah," Canada tilted his head, "Did America not tell you? He's the leader. He's really important, too."

Ukraine huffed in surprise, looking to the ground. Canada lifted her head again.

"As I was saying, someone tried shooting me because I'm the stand-in," Canada continued, "Germany and Poland are both protecting with weapons, as well as a few others like Brazil and Estonia. There's nobody guarding up front with me, so..?"

Ukraine grinned, "Sure, I'll walk with you," She paused, "But only for protection."

Canada chuckled, as he took Ukraine's hand and walked with her to the front.

"Sure. Just for protection."