10

America lay there; the previous day, it felt as though his ribs had miraculously healed. Today, however, the pain came back, but hundreds of times worse.

It was around midday when the door to the small cabin opened slightly. America turned his head ever so slightly to make sure everything didn't begin to ache again, to see Russia standing there with a concerned expression across his face.

"You are not up," Russia observed, "You are alright, or no?"

"I mean, my ribs seriously hurt if I move anything," America huffed, and looked up to the ceiling, "So nope, guess this is my life now."

Russia sighed and made his way to America's mattress, sitting at the end of it.

"Do you need ice pack?" Russia asked, tilting his head as he looked at America.

"Dude, that's some real school nurse kinda crap," America laughed, before he coughed a few times, "Why would I need an icepack for broken ribs?"

"It brings down swelling and numbs pain, dumbass," Russia chuckled, "You are not first to have broken rib."

America groaned, then after a moment, responded; "Fine. Fine, just give me an ice pack then. Because ice packs, apparently, work miracles."

Russia rolled his eyes as he stood, and left the house. America didn't know where Russia kept all of his ice packs, he'd ask about that later.

When Russia came back, he sat beside America, and pressed the ice pack to his chest. America swatted Russia's hand away as he held the ice pack himself, before he sighed, looked away, and grabbed Russia's wrist and placed it back on the ice pack as America removed his own hands. Russia chuckled, he didn't mind that America still held onto his wrist.

"You change your mind fast," Russia smirked, looking down to America, "I am not used to that."

"It's cold," America mumbled, and paused, "Shut up."

"You are soft," Russia snickered, "Sensitive Stars."

"Oh-" America suddenly jolted up, hissing in pain, "I am not sensitive! Look, I can do stuff myself!"

America tried standing as Russia stood too, slightly worried, while America tried to stand upright. America stumbled around, until he finally doubled over - Russia thought fast, and caught America before he fell. America winced as Russia pulled him up, his arms under America's.

"Everything hurts," America began to sob from the pain, "But I'm not soft.."

"You are a moron," Russia huffed, still holding America up, "I was joking. I thought you could take joke."

"Shut up.." America muttered, clinging onto Russia's shirt. Russia rolled his eyes and helped America back down to his mattress, setting him down. America rubbed his eyes, before he picked the ice pack off of the ground beside him from when it fell off, and held it to his chest.

Russia looked down, America was staring blankly at the ceiling. Russia felt guilty to a small degree, before he moved America's hands off of the ice pack, and held it there himself.

It was silent between them. The only sounds were a distant river, the birds outside, and the breeze brushing against the walls of the cabin.

*

That next morning, America felt slightly better. Not completely, but just enough to sit up or stand in one place. Which was good enough for him.

America shuffled out of the small place, the clouds above were getting heavier. Russia was talking with Ukraine beside the lake, Belarus listened in too.

Russia turned his head and saw America, grinned, and waved to him. Belarus and Ukraine looked over too, gave a small wave, as Ukraine tried to talk with Russia again, he still maintained eye contact with America. Ukraine lightly hit Russia to get his attention, Russia frowned, and hesitantly looked back to her.

America snickered, as he leaned against the wall of the cabin, and waited for Russia. It seemed as though Russia was trying desperately to pull away from their conversation, taking small steps backwards and giving short one-word replies.

Finally, Russia was able to break away from the conversation, he made his way to America's side.

"Ukraine is somewhat happier today," Russia huffed, "Very conversational. Much more so than usual. Maybe good night's sleep?"

"Yeah, probably," America agreed, "I mean, probably not many other reasons there'd be."

Russia hummed, lost in thought for a second, "She still has very different interests, though. We do not have same hobbies and we are not interested in same thing. Honestly, you are probably the most relatable country here, to me."

America smiled up at Russia, "Hey, thanks! You're a pretty cool country too, y'know."

"Sure, let us go with that," Russia nodded, before moving on with the conversation, "How are you feeling this morning?"

"Stiff and achy," America groaned, placing his hands on the back of his neck, "It's, like, pure will power for me to stay upright."

Russia patted America's shoulder, "Maybe you should sit then. Or lie down."

"Nah," America shook his head, "I wanna do stuff. I wanna help out."

"You need to do less active activities then," Russia told America, "Before the rain comes, I am hanging bird houses that I have made in my free time. Ukraine is scouting around, possibly getting more food. You should go with her."

America pouted, and shook his head, "I wanna help you hang the bird houses!"

Russia chuckled, and rolled his eyes, "Later. But you need to help Ukraine with something, agreed?"

"Yeah, yeah," America quickly agreed, "But I'm good at climbing trees! I can help out really well, okay?"

"Yes, we have agreed you will help me," Russia said impatiently, "So shush."

America grinned widely. Honestly, he couldn't wait.