5

America sat inside the small cabin, at the dinner table amongst Russia, Ukraine and Belarus. He felt awkward, sitting with people he didn't know, and people who didn't know him. Either way, he ate the food that was offered to him, he didn't want to be disrespectful.

"So how did you fall into the river?" Ukraine looked up from her plate, "It's not easy to fall in."

"It was muddy up there," America explained, "I was taking a walk to get away from everyone when I slipped. I fell in."

"Did it hurt when you were in the current,  when you were still awake?" Ukraine placed her head on her hand in interest.

"I'd go to hell before doing that again," America growled, "That was possibly the worst pain I've felt for.. well, ever. I hope nobody else goes through that."

Belarus straightened up, "How many countries are in the FA camps?"

"I'm not sure," America half-lied, "I'm fairly certain it's around one hundred and fifty? I'm not sure."

"That's more than I've ever been around.." Belarus murmured, "There's books, right?"

"Oh, hundreds of them," America chuckled, "My brother thought it was best if there were tons of books, for the younger countries. He'd read most of them, that bookworm."

Belarus' expression brightened, "We only have a few books here and I've read them over and over again! Your brother's so lucky to have that many books.."

"If I can, I could totally get some for you," America offered. Russia turned to America slightly, listening carefully. He'd better not say a single wrong thing. "I mean like, I'd get books for you to read if you're bored? It's not too much of a hassle."

"But you wouldn't tell people about us?" Belarus asked hopefully, America shook his head and placed a hand on his chest.

"I swear, cross my heart, hope to die, I will never do anything that will get you hunted down," America swore, "Even if there is a rumour, I'm not gonna tell folks bout you!"

Russia grinned slightly and looked back to his dinner. America sighed a breath of relief, Belarus seemed satisfied with that answer. Ukraine seemed happy with it too, even Russia seemed glad America had said that. America had just made a good move.

"So if my back is all fine tomorrow," America looked around the table, "Could I help with anything? Anything at all?"

"You could help me farm?" Belarus suggested, America nodded without any hesitation. Belarus seemed even happier.

"I'd love to!" America exclaimed, "I'll help out for as long as I'm here. It's the least I can do."

"Just don't try make any dodgy moves," Ukraine hummed, "I have a rifle, you know."

America chuckled, a shiver being sent down his spine, he couldn't admit he wasn't intimidated.

"Don't worry, you can trust me!" America had a bright smirk across his face, "I'm not gonna do any harm to anyone here whatsoever!"

Russia stayed silent. He hadn't really been talking much since America had told him his father was UK. America didn't think it was a great idea to try and confront him about it, he barely understood Russia, and thought that was a bad idea.

They all are in silence after that - Ukraine and Belarus had disappeared outside, covering up Belarus' farms, leaving Russia and America sitting beside one another inside.

"Do you have other family?" Russia asked, "Because I do not think is just you, your father, and Canada."

"Ye-yeah.." America stuttered, "My siblings, New Zealand and Australia were forced into the Restoration's side. I miss them sometimes, but then I barely remember who they were - who they are."

Russia nodded in acknowledgement, sighing.

"So you are closest with Canada then?" Russia stood up and opened the log cabin door, expecting something to come in - Misha.

"Yeah, he's the only family I have who isn't a goddamn crackhead," America admitted, "My father's a crackhead, my mother France is a crackhead, I don't know if New Zealand and Australia are crackheads, but hey, at least Canada isn't."

"My father was crackhead," Russia shrugged, shutting the door behind the bear, "Before he just.. collapsed. He turned to dust. My earliest memory, standing there, in empty room, my father's remains just... There. It was quite traumatic."

"Dude, are you like.. okay?" America asked, concerned. Russia chuckled, his gaze met America's. And god, did it intimidate America with the fire that burned in Russia's eyes.

"I've seen worse," Russia didn't seem to lie, "My father is only another thing that has happened. I hope you are well aware that my brother, Kazakhstan, was murdered by the Restoration?"

America flinched. He hadn't expected that - he thought Russia was an only child.

"I.." America was lost for words, "I can't imagine anything like that happening to me.."

"No, because it hasn't just yet," Russia sat back down next to America, "Kazakh was brother, yes, but not actual sibling. Like Ukraine and Belarus. But still.. very affecting. You know, if that didn't happen, I would probably be in Restoration now."

"So.. not the FA?" America nodded, "Yeah, okay. Honestly, I'd much rather be in the FA than the Restoration. The Restoration barely treats the countries on their side well at all, the rest are killed."

"..Like Kazakh," Russia added on, "Yes, but FA is very useless. If single Restoration troop came in, you would not be able to shoot them, because of huge crowd the Restoration person is in. You wouldn't want to risk shooting innocent? Anyway, innocent die, everyone dies, the world is dead. The end. But no, there is third party - us. My father may have contributed hugely in wars, but I, for one, can not care less."

"I see where you're coming from," America looked up to Russia, "But then the FA was just supposed to temporarily home the innocent countries?"

"Perhaps," Russia shrugged, "But that does not stop us from getting killed, does it?"

America shook his head. Regretfully, he saw where Russia was coming from. Russia was beginning to make America dislike his own side.

"I dunno.." America trailed off, pausing, "So.. should we be getting to bed?"

"We should," Russia agreed, "I will get others. You, wait here. I will try sorting mat out for you."

Of course, this log cabin was a single room. The beds were on the other side beneath an old window, only three on them - America assumed there was a fourth mattress. His heart sunk when he realised it was probably for Kazakhstan.

America felt guilty for not being there for Kazakhstan when he was shot.

When he was murdered.

America could've saved Kazakh.

He felt a warm, furry animal brush up against his leg. He looked down and saw Misha, he grinned, crouching down. He began to scratch Misha in the same place Russia did, just behind the ear, enjoying the company of the animal.

All of his worries melted away as he got distracted by Misha.

God, he'd miss her when he had to leave.