Chapter 11

Chapter 11

I saw the bright pink sign before we pulled into the parking lot and gave a short laugh.

"Gwen's Ice Cream Parlor? Seriously?"

I was practically beaming as we stepped out of the car.

"Do you like it," Nol asked.

"Are you kidding," I retorically asked, as Nol opened the door for me. "I love it! Eating ice cream is practically my favorite past time."

He laughed as we walked up to the counter to order. It was a small little shop with a few tables and chairs tucked under them. The counter with all the ice cream took up almost half of the shop. There was a squat little lady sitting behind the cash register, reading a magazine. She looked a little startled when we walked up to the counter, but soon replaced her surprised expression with a smile.

"Noland, darling, I haven't seen you in ages," she exclaimed. She pulled open a little door that let her out from behind the counter and came to hug Nol.

"Ohh, I've missed you," her voice was a bit muffled considering she had her face buried in his shirt.

"Gwen, this is Rory," Nol introduced, motioning to me awkwardly standing against the counter.

"Aww, look how beautiful you are," she gushed, rushing over to hug. Even though her face was pretty much in my boobs, she gave good hugs.

"Thank you," I laughed. She finally pulled away only to gasp and pull my face down to her eye level.

"I've seen you somewhere," she squinted her eyes and stared at me for a moment and then her eyes lit up. "You're Julianne Pinnock's daughter! Oh my gosh! I am a huge fan of her movies."

My smile faultered slightly and I saw Nol cringe from the corner of my eye.

"Yup. That's me," I said, my voice void of emotion.

"Well, just for that y'all can have a free ice cream," she beamed one last time at me before walking back behind the counter and putting on some gloves.

"Is that the only reason you want to give us free ice cream," Nol inquired.

Gwen narrowed her eyes and looked at him suspiciously. Nol raised his eyebrows and smiled at her while we waited.

"Oh," she shouted. "Oh, how could I have forgotten! It's you're birthday soon. Well, in that case I've got something special for you. I'll be right back," she said before disappearing behind a door that led into the back room.

"I guess you know her well," I smirked, turning to face Nol.

He chuckled and leaned his side against the counter, facing me as well.

"Yeah. It used to be family tradition to come here every week, but soon everyone's schedules became busier and we would postpone and postpone until we just stopped altogether. I still come here every once in a while though. Brings me back to the times when life was simpler," he had a small smile on his face as he remembered his past.

I didn't realize I was standing there, stupidly smiling at him, until I heard someone clear their throat. I blinked out of my daze and looked to my right to find Gwen looking between both of us with a weird expression on her face.

"Happy birthday," she cheered, handing us each a large slice of ice cream cake.

Nol grinned at her as he took his piece and gave her a side hug.

"Thank you so much Gwen. This looks delicious. How much," he started to pull out his wallet, but she waved him off.

"My present to you and friend. I just ask that you come visit me more often. I get lonely here you know."