Part 1: The Broken Pieces

"Waaaaahhhhgggghhhhhh!" Marinette yelled as she tripped over her own feet, falling on her face as she ran down the street. Of course she was late for school again! And they had their presentations today! Marinette had stayed up all night last night finishing her history report on the French Revolution after another long day of saving Paris. Again.

Marinette loved Ms. Bustier's class, but it by far required the most work. Not that she wasn't scrambling to make up work for all her classes since she was almost never at school anymore. She was honestly confused how she hadn't been suspended yet, or at least gotten Saturday school. Marinette wasn't complaining though, she barely had time to rest, much less go to school on a Saturday. Of course her friends were helping her as much as they could, Luka showing up at her door almost everyday delivering class notes from Juelaka. Sometimes he even stayed and helped her study, or just kept her company while she worked.

But even that was hard, being around Luka when she knew he was trying to cheer her up. Ever since Kagami and Adrien had started dating, Marinette had tried her hardest to just appreciate that they were friends, but it just got harder and harder to face him. Both of them.

Luka was being nicer to her than she deserved, and she no longer had Master Fu to seek for guidance. She felt...alone. Though she knew she had so many people around her that supported her, no one really knew who she was. No one knew she was Ladybug.

But now wasn't the time to sulk about life's many problems, she still had to get to class.

Picking herself up off the floor, Marinette rushed into Ms. Bustier's class. She kept her head down as everyone stared at her, her cheeks heating with embarrassment.

"Glad to see you Marinette," Ms. Bustier said, "go ahead and take your seat."

Marinette shoved in next to Alya, still looking at the ground, avoiding Adrien's gaze as he waved at her. He still had no idea. Marinette knew she had never said anything to Adrien to make him suspect, well not really, but she still wondered how he could be so clueless.

"Marinette," Alya hissed beside her, making her jump, "What is up with you girl? You're totally out of it."

Mari put her hand against her forehead, "Oh sorry Alya. I was barely able to finish my presentation last night, I was up SO late."

Alya rolled her eyes at her, laughing quietly, "Girl, you say that every day! Either you're daydreaming all the time, or you're secretly Ladybug." Alya twinkled her fingers at her, teasing.

Marinette gave her a silly look, "You know I'm too clumsy to be a superhero."

"True," Alya laughed, "otherwise I'd seriously consider it. You're too good for this world, Girl."

Marinette opened her mouth to respond, but Ms. Bustier said from the front of the class, "Marinette, Alya, please quiet down we need to start the presentations." She clapped her hands, everyone coming to attention, "Who's first?"

After class was over, Marinette moved to leave, but Alya grabbed her arm. She knew what Alya was going to say before she did.

"Let's go hang out girl! We can get ice cream from André's with Nino and Adrien," Alya saw Marinette's expression and immediately added, "or just us. Come on, you've been cooped up in that bakery for way too long, you need to get out."

Mari shook off her friend's grip, "That's okay Alya, I have a lot to do."

Her friend's eyes looked sad, not pushing any further, "Okay, if you say so, but call me if anything comes up okay girl?"

Marinette nodded, seeing out of her peripheral vision Kagami running up to hug Adrien. Her shoulders slumped as she turned around, not wanting to see anymore. She'd been too late. She'd always be too late. Marinette had figured that out by now.

Even as Ladybug.

Two hours later, Ladybug swung to the top of the Eiffel Tower, sitting down and staring out at her city. The city she had been so close to failing a week ago. Hawkmoth had been so close, Miracle Queen has been so close. And what had she done? She'd panicked and gotten Master Fu caught.

Facing Chat had been hard after that as well, not just Luka and Adrien. She knew he didn't blame her for it, but Marinette blamed herself for it.

She was a superhero, she didn't have room to make mistakes, no matter what Master Fu had said. But she also knew that the path of despair she had set herself on was a dangerous one, and she was practically clawing at the invisible hands that drew her deeper into it. She wasn't helpless, she knew that. She was Ladybug.

"Want some company Milady?" A familiar voice said from behind her. She held back a wince and tried her best to discreetly wipe the tears that had slipped down her cheeks. She was pretty sure Chat hadn't noticed, which was a small mercy.

She patted the space next to her and tried her best to make her voice sound normal, "Hey Kitty."

If Chat Noir noticed the slight waver to her words, he mercifully didn't say anything. The two of them sat in silence for a while, Chat playing with his tail. He seemed anxious about something, his eyes glancing over at her every so often.

"Okay," he finally blurted, "you obviously don't have to tell me anything but I know you well enough to know there's something up Milady. Are you okay?"

Ladybug took a deep breath, closing her eyes while deciding what she would tell Chat, and what she wouldn't. He shouldn't have to worry about her problems too.

"I'm just—," she swallowed, "I'm just tired, that's all."

"And I don't believe that for a second, but," he looked over at her and gave her a sad smile, "I'm always here for you bugaboo, you know that."

Ladybug leaned her head on Chat's shoulder, "I know Chat, I know."

"Then tell me."

She took another deep breath, "Last week was so close, Chat, I almost failed them."

"We almost failed them, Ladybug, this isn't all on you."

"Yeah, but I led Hawkmoth to Master Fu, I almost got him killed." Her hands balled into fists, Ladybug struggling to stop their trembling, "and on top of that, I just can't handle being forced to keep so many secrets. I lost my chance with someone because I was so used to keeping who I really am secret, that I began keeping how I really felt secret too."

Ladybug had removed her head from his shoulder and placed it in her hands, "I'm hopeless."

"Ladybug," Chat drew her hands from her face, "you know what I feel for you, and I would never expect you to return those feelings, but anyone who fails to see you the way I do is either blind, or stupid."

Ladybug stared at Chat, something in her gut tightening, "You're dating someone now though, isn't that what you said?"

He frowned slightly, "Yeah, but you have to know by now Milady, that nothing could ever change how I feel about you."

"But I'm so rude to you all the time, I don't mean to be, but I know I am. I know I've hurt you before."

"Yeah, you have, but no one is perfect Ladybug, not even you."

She huffed a laugh, "You can say that again."

"Don't Ladybug, don't blame yourself for anything, don't suffer alone. You've been there for me when I needed you and I'm gonna be there for you."

Ladybug allowed Chat to wrap his arm around her shoulder and tug her head down so she was leaning on him again. There was nothing romantic about the gesture, it was just supposed to be comforting. And it was. Ladybug clung to his warmth until the sun had gone down and she was forced to drag herself home.

Author's Note: Hey guys! I know this first part wasn't super exciting but I promise it gets better! If you write you know it's super hard to write the introduction and trust me I am struggling! but as the plot progresses I promise it improves and you'll like it a ton more! Thanks for reading and please give my story chance!