Costly Thoughts

It had been a few weeks since Yuna's father left on another business trip. Her classmates had varying reactions when her real surname was called out during attendance, though she noticed none of them. Her heart had been overflowing with dread while her head was filled with jumbled words and sentences; none of which belonged to her. With each passing day, the pain within her head grew greater and greater. All the while her studies became harder, her few free periods were now taken up by extra tutoring.

The pressure was mounting on her shoulders, her teachers gave her extra work and every other day she was forced to take trial tests and exams. Unfortunately, she would receive an entire lecture on each incorrect answer. It felt like there was a balloon in her head that would get air blown into it with each minute of this torture.

Today she had hit an impasse; she had been swamped with homework from cram, her school, and her new tutors. These issues caused her now constant headaches to become migraines, that with each passing day grew more painful. The poor teenager could not sleep, developing purplish bags under her eyes; the only rest she had gotten was when her body would shut itself down from sheer exhaustion when she returned home from school on Saturday.

Every part of her body had been screaming at her to take a rest, but the fear of her father's words kept her going, no matter the pain. In the last few weeks her mother had been scrambling to get everything ready for Yusuke to come back to life. The young girl had her doubts however, even if his heart was beating and he was breathing. He was still in a coma, the odds of him waking up were low.

Yuna's back ached, she had woken up lying on the floor in the kitchen entrance. Her eyes felt heavy, while her limbs felt numb. There was a buzzing in the back of her head that only got worse as minutes ticked by. How long had she been on the floor, how much work had she failed to do? The anxiety that filled her being with these thoughts grew painfully through her chest, causing a burning feeling on the back of her neck that would not go away no matter what cool object was placed on it.

Hopelessness came alongside the anxiety, almost complimenting the crippling feeling. The buzzing had become a shrill whistling sound. Everything near her was too close, she was too cramped, the walls were closing in on her, but... Her body could not move, trying to use her feeble will to push herself to her feet, just to get nothing from her body in return besides slumping on her front.

It's too close! Everything's too close!

The thoughts within her head rang out sharply, almost a scream within her skull. Through the migraine, she could almost make out loud banging and scrapping around her. The sound of splintering wood and ripping paper accompanied it.

Opening her eyes, Yuna looked around, the furniture around her had somehow become splintered and broken, her homework and textbooks torn to shreds. More astonishing, there were still bits floating in the air, suspended almost by magic. Shakily she poked a random splinter watching as it moved through the air, flowing haphazardly towards the living room.

While this was happening the voices in her head had finally become quiet. There was no sound, no whispers for the first time since the hospital, just blissful silence. Her relief was short lived however as another sharp pain shot through her head, causing her to flinch. All the suspended items dropped to the ground immediately with loud clatters and bangs. Before she knew the whispering and talking came rushing back into her brain.

Tears filled Yuna's eyes, "It's not fair... ITS NOT FAIR!" She cried, not understanding what was going on, only that it was unfair for her to go through whatever this was. "P-Please... please make them stop.. J-Just make it stop" her voice came out hoarse and choked from the sobs that wracked her body. Objects started moving through the air again, yet unlike before the voices stayed and steadily grew louder with each passing second. The more she lost control of her emotions the faster things would lift and start to move, swirling about the small girl.

What did I do wrong?

Why is this happening to me?

Someone please help me!

...Anyone.. please.

It hurts..

I'm scared..

There was banging on her door, though not that she could hear it over her furniture whooshing around her and the voices. The pain in her head began to spread throughout her body and cause a tingling sensation on the  top on her head.

Her front door was broken down, a concerned shout calling out her name; only to be mostly drowned out and cut short by a chair flying at the intruder.

Yuna's eyes began to ache and water, as she turned to the muffled sound. Bright red hair and green eyes caught her attention, "M-Minamino-san?" Her voice came out as more of a sob than a shocked mortified one.

Her classmate dodged the chair that had flung itself at him. "You need to calm yourself.. it'll only get worse if you let yourself emotions take hold!" He looked up to make eye contact with her, a look of surprise and shock developed on his face.

The young girl's eyes had changed to the colour of molten gold, vividly glowing behind her now cracked and broken glasses. The usually straight hair was curling and whipping around wildly about her. The black had since faded away turning into an icy blue.

What in the world is going on?

The objects floating around Yuna stilled, frozen in the air as if they had not just been getting thrown around. "Yuna, you must calm down." Her classmate's voice was calm and smooth. His green eyes holding her now gold ones in a trance.

You must calm down; otherwise you'll effect the other homes!

His voice rang out clearly in her head, above all the whispering words and the staticky buzzing in her head. Her gaze looking at the young man deeply, large tears spilling from her  eyes as the objects around her lowered to the ground. Yuna's lip quivered in in pain, her entire body was aching she couldn't bring herself to speak.

It hurts.. everything hurts..

Am I going crazy?

She thought, knowing he would never hear her. A soft smile lit his face, "I know it hurts Yuna. And I wish it were as simple as you going crazy" he told her gently. Coming to her side, he helped her up, momentarily pausing when she flinched from his touch on her arm.

Shuichi looked down at his distressed classmate. So his suspicions turned out to be true, she was not a normal human. Something clutched the red fabric on his arm, turning his green eyes back to her. A shocked yet relieved look filled her glassy eyes, before it became replaced by despair. "W-what do... How shou-" she could not form any sort of question, atleast not until after he got her to a safe place. Somewhere she did not have to worry about anything. But where could he take her?