29

Jin and his family were seated in Taehyung's living room, still utterly baffled at being there.

Jin and his father kept looking around, trying to memorize every detail of the apartment. Jin's mother, on the other hand, was simply looking at Taehyung with endless love in her eyes.

Taehyung and Jungkook were across from them, sitting thigh to thigh with their hands interlocked.

"Thank you guys for coming here on such short notice," Taehyung began, his grip strong on Jungkook's hands. "I know it's long overdue, but . . . I wasn't in a good place for the last few years. I wasn't ready to let you in."

"Darling, you don't have to let us in if you don't want to. This . . . this is more than enough for now," Jin's mother said, a tear of happiness rolling down her cheek.

Taehyung bit his lower lip. "It's not enough. I'll never be able to repay you for all you've done for me. I didn't deserve it. But, the truth is, I think of you as my family more so than my real family."

Sniffles were heard around the room as Taehyung told his story. No detail was left hidden; everything was brought to the surface about his past family life and abuse. He even touched upon his history with Jungkook.

He tried to explain as best he could the impact his parents had on him. He also explained, though tears of his own, the incredible love and gratitude he had for Jin and his family. By the time he said all he wanted to, there wasn't a dry eye in the room.

"Taehyungie," Jin murmured, looking at his friend with compassion and love, "you are the strongest person I know. I'm lucky to have you in my life."

"We love you so much, Tae," Jin's mother said, crying into her son's shoulder.

Jin's father, a quiet man compared to his wife and son, stood up and approached Taehyung. "I'm so proud of you, Taehyung. It takes incredible courage to open up as you did and to try to amend your ways. I want you to know that I consider you a son of mine."

Taehyung launched himself into the man's arms, hugging him as a child would hug his parent.

Jin and his mother joined in on their hug, the sight making Jungkook so happy for Taehyung. He quietly stood up to leave, wanting to give the family some privacy.

"Jungkook," Jin's mother said, eyeing his retreat. "Although we don't know you well, you're a part of Taehyung's family. So come here, darling."

The younger beamed as he walked over, wrapping his arms around Taehyung from behind. He nuzzled his head in between the elder's neck and shoulder, closing his eyes in content.

The group spent the next hour talking more about both Taehyung's and Jungkook's pasts, making sure everything was out in the open. Taehyung felt like all the weight had finally been lifted from his shoulders. After six years, the truth had revealed itself and he apologized to those he loved. And he finally found the one thing that had been missing for far too long.

Himself.

The two youngest said an emotional goodbye to Jin and his family, promising to come over for dinner next Sunday. They were about to shut the door when Jin's mother added one more thing.

"Tae, sweetie. I know it's all so soon, but one day . . . I want you to know if you ever want to call me your mother, I'd be honored to accept such a title."

Taehyung's heart swelled in his chest. "I can't explain how much that means to me. I love you . . . Mom."

The woman swept away a tear as she patted Taehyung's cheek. "I'll see you boys soon."