4

Jungkook, Jimin, and Jin all passed the visual audition. They were then divided into smaller groups based on their age for the singing and dancing tests. The three boys wished one another luck before they went their separate ways.

The youngest entered a smaller room with fifteen other boys his age. He kept to himself, a little too shy to strike up conversation with those around him. Stretching idly, he ran through the song he prepared in his head, praying that he wouldn't suddenly forget the lyrics.

A panel of judges entered and took their seats at a table in the front of the room. They introduced themselves and explained how the process would work. First, a random song would be played. The boys were expected to improvise dance moves for the entire length of the song. Anyone who lacked rhythm would be asked to leave. Those who survived that phase would sing a song of their choosing, a capella style. If they passed that round, they would join up with the rest of the candidates to learn some choreography. The top ten would be chosen from there.

With no warning, a fast paced song boomed into the room. Jungkook started moving, letting the music carry him away. Thoughts left his mind as he danced, barely paying attention as other boys were signaled to leave. Before he knew it, the song ended. Only eight of them remained.

Next came the singing portion. Five boys went before him, four of which were cut. One was extremely talented. His voice was clear and he easily hit higher notes. It made Jungkook nervous as he took his place in the center of the room and began to sing.

Despite his nerves, his voice was sure and strong. He sang with passion, truly connecting with the emotional lyrics. He sang for his friends who supported him. He sang to prove to his parents that his dreams mattered. And most importantly, he sang for himself. He sang so he would have no regrets after today.

Once his selection ended, he peered up at the judges. It was quiet for a few moments as they assessed him, but they then broke into smiles. He had passed. They directed him to another room, where Big Hit's main choreographer would teach a couple phrases of choreography.

Jungkook entered the next room, scanning for his friends. There were less than twenty people, so it wasn't difficult to spot Jin. The younger walked up to him, a little shocked to see him there.

Jin noticed his expression right away. "Seems like someone was doubting my capabilities."

"Where's Jimin?" Jungkook deflected, searching for his friend again.

"I haven't seen him yet."

Two more people trickled into the room, but no sign of Jimin. One of the new arrivals went right to the sound system and hooked up his phone. Music filled the space - a pulsating and hard-hitting song - and everyone fell silent.

"Everyone! I'm Big Hit's lead choreographer. You can call me J-Hope. I'm going to demonstrate two counts of eight, and it's your task to pick up the steps. Ready? Let's go!"

J-Hope spun around and started dancing, each move showcasing years of practice and passion. Jungkook marked the steps while Jin simply watched, bobbing his head to the beat. Their third time through the routine, the door banged open and three more candidates came rushing through. Jungkook caught Jimin out of the corner of his eye and he sighed in relief.

Jimin fell into place next to Jungkook, eyes trained on J-Hope. Within a minute, he was doing the choreography just as well as everyone else. Better, if Jin's lack of movement was taken into account.

J-Hope turned around to watch the candidates, giving corrections when needed. When his eyes scanned over Jin, he walked up to the taller boy.

"I won't put you through unless you show me some effort. So I suggest you learn the moves or leave my studio," J-Hope stated, a serious look on his face.

Jin huffed but began dancing, looking to Jungkook and Jimin to figure out the routine. J-Hope went back to the front of the room and surveyed the group for a while. After the candidates performed the dance for what felt like fifty times, the choreographer signaled them to stop. He meandered around the room, telling some people to grab their stuff and go. Others were told they had made the top ten.

J-Hope approached Jimin and patted him on the back. "Top ten," he said.

Jungkook beamed at his friend, overjoyed for him. He looked around the room and realized nine people had already been selected, with only Jin and himself remaining. Jungkook's palms started to sweat as the choreographer stood in front of them.

A sigh escaped from J-Hope as he took in Jin. "By the skin of your teeth, you've made it."

Jungkook's heart fell. He thought he was hitting the moves spot on and that he'd definitely make the top ten. Especially after witnessing Jin's unmotivated dancing. His thoughts instantly turned to his depressing future and how bleak his life would now be. His family was right - this was a pointless dream.

He thought he didn't deserve to have his dreams come true, especially after what he had done six years ago.

A door opening drew J-Hope's attention, but Jungkook kept staring at the choreographer. He was pleading with silent eyes to be reconsidered. He'd do anything.

J-Hope rolled his eyes when he saw who had entered, slowly shaking his head in annoyance. It was V.

Taehyung decided to sneak into the room, his features still concealed, in order to secretly judge the hopefuls. It would be beneficial to observe these people when they weren't putting on an act and trying to be perfect. No one paid him any attention - well, no one except for his favorite choreographer.

J-Hope met Taehyung's eyes. "You know what, I'm changing the rules. We're going to have a top eleven. Kid," his eyes shifted to a boy dressed in all black, "congrats. You've made it."

Taehyung groaned loudly, causing a few people to look his way. The candidate J-Hope just put through turned around, facing him head on.

He didn't know whether his heart had stopped beating completely or if it started racing a million miles per hour in his chest. His palms became clammy and goosebumps erupted across his skin. He felt like he was going to be sick.

Taehyung knew that face. He knew those eyes.

He would know that boy anywhere.

Even if it had been six years . . .

Jeon Jungkook's face would always be the one he could never forget.

▪︎ ▪︎ ▪︎

V A L E N W R I T I N G

Alright, guys - four chapters to start us off! I might post Chapter 5 later . . . We'll see!

I know these first few are a bit introductory, but I needed to provide some limited backstory to kick us off.

Tell me what you think so far!