For Cosmo

"I can't do it!"

The voice rang loudly, but it was trembling. The voice cracked as it spoke. The sound of someone fighting with himself. The twin tailed kitsune gripped the controls tightly as tears fell from his eyes.

"I can't hurt her...I can't hurt Cosmo." Tails whimpered in despair.

Tails looked up, eyes furrowed, then he slammed his fist on the console, "You promised! You promised that when all of this was over, you would live with us on our world!"

His muzzle scrunched up tightly as frustration rose within his soul. Frustration and despair raged together as the fox who always had a solution to every plan, who always knew what to do, who always could find a better way to help others without sacrifice, sat at his seat completely helpless. The Metarex were on the trail to destroy the universe, but the only thing blocking them was Cosmo who made a heroic act and constructed the Metarex. All that was left was for Tails to pull the trigger, but he couldn't bring himself to hurt her.

"Tails, I need you to shoot me," Tails looks up to see Cosmo. Every inch of her dazzling beauty being shown in front of his eyes. "Please Tails."

"Why....why does it have to be this way? Why!? You've done nothing to deserve this, Cosmo.." Tails cried meekly. He shivered as he looks at Cosmo's beautiful form. "I...I wanted us to go h-home. I've wanted to experience more happy times with all of us together...There's so much left for us to do together!"

Cosmo's eyes softened as she looks into the fox's ocean blue eyes, "Tails, even in the end, I've caused problems for you. Forgive me."

Tails' eyes widened, then furrowed as he trembled, "You've never caused any problems for me. I've been happy with you!"

Cosmo smiles warmly at the twin tailed fox, "Tails, shoot at me."

Tails clenched his teeth tightly as he struggles within himself, "I can't do it.....because..."

  Cosmo stared at him silently, solemnity spread across her face.

  "Cosmo," Tails' voice cracked. He raised his head to look at her, heavy tears streaming down his muzzle, "I love you!"

  "Agh!" Tails sat up quickly, breathing heavily. The air felt thin around him as he tried gasping for air.

  He looked around and noticed his surroundings. He was lying in his bed in his bedroom. Tails struggled to breathe as he pant for air. He moved his arm to his forehead. He was drenched, sweat rolled from his forehead as he stopped looking around. Footsteps could be heard on the other side of his door.

  Suddenly, his door blasted open and the Blue Blur came in looking for a fight, "Tails, are you alright!? Someone trying to hurt you!?"

  Tails watched in surprise as his best friend whipped his head around looking for anything out of the ordinary. Tails started to breathe slowly and he successfully calmed himself.

  He looked up to Sonic, "I'm fine Sonic. Sorry for causing a disturbance."

  Sonic landed his eyes to his intelligent friend, worry overtaking his voice, "You ok, buddy?"

  Tails looked down at the covers on his bed, "I'm fine. Just a little nightmare. That's all."

  Sonic looked at him with an unreadable face, then sighed, "You know you can talk to me about it."

  Tails furrowed his eyebrows as he listened to Sonic speaking. He began to tremble as the weight on his heart started sinking through the raging storm that seared from within. Sonic studied him more intently as he noticed Tails' demeanor change completely. He realized to himself what could be the cause of this.