Chapter 5- Focus Lia

Sitting on my couch, not even looking at the TV that played a random show, I stared out of the big window behind it questioning myself as I waited for Justin.

I still hadn’t even tried to object to going out with him today, I never even tried to talk to him after Adriana had left me to question what exactly I was thinking. I didn’t see him after we danced. Adriana had dragged me to the dance floor for the rest of the night.

The more I kept telling myself I shouldn’t even be going out with him, it still didn’t make a big enough impact on me to change that. I was just pissing myself off more and more.

Knocking on my door drew me out of my deep thoughts making me slightly jump and the sudden noise. Turning off the TV I got up to get the door.

“I know you’re trying to act like you want nothing to do with me and all but I don’t think I could have made you look so dull.” Justin chuckled.

“Gee thanks.”

“Come on, we’re gonna put a smile on that face.” He said wrapping his arm around my waist after I shut the door, guiding me to the elevator.

“This is bribery and corruption.” I mumbled as the door of the elevator closed.

“You know, not everything I do is to get you to agree to me.”

I raised a quizzical brow at him, “You’re lying through the skin of your teeth.”

“Lia.” Justin smiled, giving me a look as to say ‘You know that’s not true’.

I huffed. This fourteen floor ride was more like fifty. The elevator halted making me grab the rail behind me, looking to Justin, I watched him remove his finger from the emergency stop button.

“What are you doing?”

“ Something’s wrong, what is it?”

Taken back by the question, I stood there not knowing what to say. How am I suppose to explain that I’m getting more angry with myself because I don’t know why I’m not thinking straight when it comes to him.

I shouldn’t be standing here with him let alone going out with him.

But I was.

I was setting myself up for disaster. If other rival gangs, or even Justin’s gang saw a girl hanging out with him that would cause chaos for me. They would start getting information on me-which would already be bad enough- then they could try to use me to get to him.

“It’s nothing.” I lied.

“That’s bullshit, Lia.”

“Can we please just go?”

:”No.” He crossed his arms.

“Justin, please?”

“Not until you tell me.”

“I’m just trying to figure something out that’s all.” I sighed.

“Wanna talk about it?” He offered.

I shook my head. He was the cause of it. I couldn’t ask him for help.

He stepped towards me grabbing my hand and pulled me into his chest. Confused by what he was doing I looked up at him with wide eyes as he wrapped his arms around me.

“Smile. I don’t wanna take you out if you’re upset.” He’s voice vibrated softly.

Mustering up all the energy, I gave him the most awful, fakest smile you could ever think of.

“What the hell is that?” He laughed.

“I’m smiling!”

“No, that looks like you just stepped in dog shit. Try again.”