36 - Dynamite and Blade

[Picture above created on Chibi Studio!]

Author's note: Hey readers! Just as a note, some OSTs have been added and changed in previous chapters!

******

"The repair fees that Boss is gonna make me pay.... When I'm already this broke..."

Haruto rambled on, picking up the broken glass shards from the ground. He paused for a moment, before letting out a long sigh. It seemed that Haruto had reached the third stage of grief. "How did this even happen?! I was only gone for a few minutes...!"

Kasumi patted his shoulder, as she tried to offer some sort of comfort to the white-haired boy. "I really don't know how it happened, but I'll help to cover part of the expenses, okay—"

"Half!"

Haruto immediately intercepted, eyes sparkling.

Kasumi gulped. Maybe she shouldn't have offered. "H-Half?"

"You are going to split half of the expenses with me!" Haruto shot up from the floor, pointing at the brunette. With a wide smirk plastered on his face, he continued to announce, "This is an order from the greatest VARIA hacker!"

The brunette laughed nervously upon hearing his words. But there was still something that did not quite add up. "And... the greatest hacker of the Italian Vongola Branch is... broke?"

Haruto jolted, before returning to his depressed state. He held his head down in shame, muttering,"When you have Mammon in the family, avoiding any sort of extortion is impossible."

"Ahaha... Okay, I understand now." Kasumi laughed lightly, being able to picture the interaction between Haruto and Mammon perfectly. "But hey, no need to get too depressed over it. I can help you explain to Xanxus-san that we don't know how it broke. He'll understand. He won't be too pissed—"

Haruto gave her the most impassive look that has ever existed.

"Okay, I'm sorry, he will be pissed." The two of them sighed in unison, as they proceeded to clean up the mess. "You know, Haruto-kun," Kasumi's curiosity got the better of her.

"Hm?" He responded lazily.

"It's alright if you're not comfortable with answering this but... What made you join the VARIA?" She noticed that that his body froze for a moment. Waving her hand frantically in front of her face, she stuttered, "A-Ah, forget that I said anything...! Yosh! We have to continue to clean this up—"

"Do you want to know?" He finally turned around to face her, this time, with a solemn look on his face.

"O-Only if you're comfortable with sharing, " She trailed off at the end.

"Well..." He leaned against the cupboard, eyes staring right into her amber eyes, eyes so full of innocence and sincerity, eyes that seemed to see right through him. "They—"

"KASUMI-CHAN! HARUTO-KUN! COME HERE AND HELP US!"

Shouts were heard outside the mansion, causing the two to flip their heads towards the source. Squinting his eyes, he noticed that the group of girls had made their return, carrying an unconscious Utau with them.