Chapter 13: Happy

Start from the beginning

My condolences to the owner.

"That cost us a hundred thousand dollars!" Alleny stressed. She shook her head and sighed, "I mean, that's like paying five dollars, but still. The owner was SO mad."

"Oh my God, that was hilarious," June chuckled. "He screamed like a girl."

I started to tune out whatever my friends were saying and looked at Audrey. She was still looking out through the window with a gloomy face. Her hair was laying lazily on her shoulder, the sun kissing her face with warmth despite her cold shoulder. I wondered why she went to Fiona's house, what made her come home with a bottle of alcohol and wake up more upset than usual.

I remembered when Alleny was like that too. Sad and depressed, closed off and angry. It was because of him. Her ex. I didn't like seeing my best friend so sad, to see her life drip away as tears. So when he hurt Alleny, when he slapped her in the middle of the hallway for everyone to see, I did what made the most sense to me. I broke him, just as he did to her. June helped heal her afterwards. I was so happy when Alleny started acting like herself again. I wonder if I could do the same for Audrey.

***

"Did you really steal someone's car?"

I had no clue what mall we were in because I was distracted with looking at Audrey who seemed to be occupied with the floor as we walked inside. I managed to convince my friends to leave me alone with her, saying that if anyone's going to keep me in check, it's her. We promised to meet up at that cool weird shop June mentioned before in a couple hours.

"No, I didn't. I borrowed it. I asked and then I took his keys before he could give me a response. I needed to go to this bookstore that was selling this limited edition cover for this book and there were only twenty up for sale. I wouldn't have time to get my friends to drive me because they were in the bathroom so I just went up and asked a random person for their car." Audrey and I were situated by the edge of a water fountain where stonecold angels stood in the middle and peed into this circular structure. People scattered around like bugs, some grouped up and others solo, holding bags of purchased goods while we were drinking milk tea. My friends gave me a hundred bucks and offered to give one to Audrey but to my surprise, she refused them. Refused! I took a big sip of my jasmine boba tea and shook my head, "Unfortunately, people got in the way on the sidewalk and I ended up bailing on the car as it dropped right into a lake."

"How could people on the sidewalk get in your way? Wouldn't you be on the street?"

"I was taking a shortcut."

She scoffed, "And you expect me to believe that? As if you've actually stolen someone's car and drove it into a lake for some dumb book."

"It was limited edition!" I exasperated, "and what's worse was that I never got there in time and it was all gone!" I waved my hands around in distraught and pout, "It was my favorite book, too."

Her eyes rolled in an arch, "I still don't believe you. Don't think you and your friends can make me believe in something so ridiculous."

I crossed my arms and huffed, "Well, you don't have to believe me. It's all in the past and I managed to get the edition from someone anyways."

She hummed in response and took a sip from her thai tea. We were silent for a while, watching people pass by and listening to the streams of water splashing onto the surface of the fountain behind us. The lack of word exchange was anything but awkward, just comfortable, I suppose. I reveled in her presence, feeling content with her being next to me as I watch the straw touch her soft lips again. The subtle movements of her muscles, her face, her everything. I've become familar with her expressions, knowing when she's upset, sad, bored, entertained, mad (which would be fairly obvious) and uncomfortable.