Chapter 13: Happy

Chapter 13: Happy

Awkward would be an understatement.

You see, my friends had not expected my dear ol' buddy pal Roomy to join in with the ride. Being utterly unprepared for the arrival of the one and only, Audrey, the car soon became a tight sealed container. Suffocating, uncomfortable, dreadful, and no where out. A twenty minute ride of complete deafening silence. Not even Alleny's song playlist could loosen up the gut twisting tension. Attempts to make conversation was immediately shut down when Audrey responded with a glare. Snakes coiled up and squeezed my friends and I just watched the scenery unfold with amusement.

"So, Audrey, was it?" Alleny started out slowly with caution as one would do with a wild animal. Audrey turned her gaze from the window and stared disinterestly at her. I looked back and forth between the two and rested my arm againt the car window as I observed them. Alleny greeted her with a charming, friendly, cheerleading smile, "I don't know if Penny introduced us to you but I'm--"

"She did," Audrey abruptly cuts in. She narrowed her eyes at Alleny and huffed. "She told me you guys were the ones who told her my name and my personal background at my old school." She gave them an angry frown and I heard Alleny audibly gulp. "Nice to meet you, Al." She said sarcastically then eyed June through the rearview mirror with the same look.

"I hope you didn't take it the wrong way," June said nervously, "Alleny just has to know everybody but she didn't tell anyone about your uh, incident, if that's what you're wondering..." This was absolutely hilarious. My rich and powerful friends cowering under the harsh gaze of my roommate. They could easily overpower her with just a flick of their wrist and she'll be in jail in no time. But alas, they would actually need a real reason to, so that's out of the way.

Audrey rolled her eyes and looked away, sighing. Welp, that was the end of their first conversation with each other. Great.

"Lovely day today, right?" I chimed in a moment later. Everyone one glared at me and I shrugged. I looked at Audrey with a toothy grin and she narrowed her eyes in return. "So, Roomy, what are you going to do once we get to the mall?"

She scoffs at the sound of her nickname. "Don't call me that."

"Call you what?"

"Roomy," she spat. "It's stupid."

"You're not stupid."

"You bi--"

"Hey Pen!" June suddenly joins in, her eyes widened, "I-uh, why did you bring your backpack?"

Audrey made an annoyed grunt and I looked down on my lap where my dull blue backpack laid. It's not the one I use at school, but it is rather convient when I want to carry books around or other things that I can think of.

"So I could steal some items in the mall. You know? The usual." I'm kidding, of course. It's so I can carry my shovel.

June chocked on thin air, Alleny eyed me in warning, and Audrey ignored me, a brooding expression forming on her face as she stared out through the window.

"I'm joking."

"Penny," Alleny drawls out in a warning tone, "I do not want to go to the police station again. Even if it's something as insignificant as an item from a shop."

"I know. I said I was joking," then I paused for a couple seconds for dramatic effect, "or am I?" She frowned and I gave her a goofy smile. "Okay, okay. Really, I won't. It was an accident that time anyways."

I stole a car.

But I was really just borrowing it.

Unfortunately, It's resting somewhere in the bottom of some lake.