Chapter 12: Stain

Chapter 12: Stain

     Secrets.

Everyone has them. It's that black blob of stain on a dark piece of cloth. No one knows that it's there, a blemish hidden between the perfect folds. From afar, it only looks like a normal piece of fabric, perhaps a few wrinkles here and there, but overall, normal. But if you look just a little bit closer, a little bit carefully, you start to notice some things.

Dirty little secrets, innocent little lies, scandalous affairs, all these things hidden from the public eye inside the concious mind. Some are shameful, others are dangerous, and a few are to protect someone.

Sometimes secrets come out and others stay hidden. It all depends on how well you can hide that stain.

"Kids these days," my mother mutters as she shook her head in displeasure, "they're just too out of control sometimes."

The TV was showing the aftermath of a burnt house. News reporters say that no one died in the fire, miraculously since almost everyone was drunk, but a few were injured and some were sent to the hospital due to exessive burns. At least half of the house still looked alright.

My mother took a bite of her egg, her eyes still glued onto the TV. "Huh, the fire took place just up north in Elenor."

Audrey didn't seem interested in the news, sluggishly taking bites of her meal and occasionally yawning. I've already finished eating mine but I stayed seated on the table, observing my roommate.

"--parents of the victim's household seem to be away at the moment," the news lady continued, "Fortunately, the fire had not reached the neighboring houses and only burnt half of the building before the quick responding firefighters came and put out the blazing hot flames. This situation calls for a teenage party gone wrong."

The news lady doesn't mention the house owner's name or exactly what neighborhood the fire came from. Privacy reasons, I guess.

I'm so bored. Very bored. I wonder if Audrey wants to do anything together with me. She must be bored too, with that contant drooping of her eyelids and her reoccurring yawns. She still has her bed hair, all ruffled up and sticking out. I tend to brush my red hair and tie it up in a bun every morning, even in the weekends.

She caught me looking at her and frowned.

"You're staring again..." she grumbled under her breath. This made my lips curve up in amusement.

"You want to do anything today?" I asksd. My mother looked over to me in question and Audrey narrowed her eyes.

"With you?" she scoffed, "No thanks."

Before I could say anything, my phone buzzed and I took a look at it. Audrey went back to eating and I went to check on my text messages.

BlondeBeaut: heeeey bestie!! wanna go to this new mall with june and i? there's this weird old creepy shop you might like there

SummerGirl: i went there, dude. it's totally your thing. there's a freakin sculpture of a fetus holding a knife there. like, wtf

Oh, right, I have friends.

I looked over to Audrey who seemed a little preoccupied with her thoughts, staring mindlessly at her plate while shoving around bits of food around with her fork. I wondered what's going on in her head. Maybe something happened that caused her to get drunk in our room last night.

Maybe she'd like to come too.

NerdyMcDerp: Can I bring Audrey with me?

They took their sweet time responding.