Charter 5

The white light I felt on my face woke me up from the dark pit I was in. I tride to open my eyes but i had to put my hand over my face in a attempt to shield them from the suns bright rays.

I felt disoriented as I took in my surroundings. I smoothed out my hands on the black leather seats of the car taking in the smells and sounds coming from a small coffee shop with a sign that read Freshly Brewed.

I watched a couple of friends sat down near the entrance laughing and smiling together and I was reminded again that I'd never really have that with all these secrets I carry around with me. Reading that article reminded me again of how far my life will always be from normal.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of the car unlocking and I turned looking my attention away from the group of kids looking for him.

"Hey, I bought you a iced coffee. I was just going to drive us back to the house but since you're awake I was hoping we could talk about what happened, that is if you want?" Mikel questioned as he opened my door handing me the cold drink and I great fully accepted it.

Andrew has been asking me about what happened that night after I left  the club with Mikel but I've been brushing him off. I know I might've overreacted so im willing to try to be friends if he is willing to change the anamocity he has towards me for no reason.

"I'd like it if we could talk" I said giving him a small smile. I slowly got out the door pretending that I was worried about my drink but in reality it was my head and the fact that everything still felt like it was spinning.

"Are you..." Mikel started talking beside me but stopped for some reason.  "Here let me hold this for you, they really filled it up today huh" he said awkwardly.

"Thank you" I smiled at him knowing that he must have seen right through my lie but still appreciating the help, especially because I didn't have to admit how hard walking is right now.

He walked through the cafe and  put my drink down on a table in a far corner away from the noise of the coffe machines and other customer.

I walked up to the table sitting down  opposite from him. I noted as i sat down om the wooden chairs that even though these chair were covered in a brown leather padding it gave close to no comfort.

I took in a deep breath of air, which was mixed with the smell of freshly ground coffee beans and muffins. I safford it for a second and finally exhaled.

"You like this smell?" Mikel questioned in disbelief.

"You don't?" I questioned at the way he furrowed his brows almost as if he couldn't believe what o just did.

"No, I'm really more of a tea person. Coffee is always too bitter" he explained and I really couldn't help the amused smile that made its way to my lips. This big though guy enjoys tea. I can see it now, him sitting on a chair outside on the porch sipping on a small tea cup filled with tea before he slowly brings the little cup back down on the saucer held in his palm.

Biting my lip was the only thing I could do to not stop myself from bursting out with laughter. Control yourself Anna, you are here to make peace remember not piss him off even more I scolded myself. Mikel abruptly cleared his throat bringing me back to reality.

"So I've realized that you have been leaving the house earlier than you use to, is that because you've been trying to avoid me?" He asked staring at me blankly his voice stripped of any emotion. I guess his going straight for the bunch line I thought to myself.

"Yes I didn't want to argue with you again and make Andrew and Caleb feel more uncomfortable" I explained in a dead voice.

Over the years I've come to master it and it has come in handy quite a few times when dealing with people that thought they could intimidate me.

"Okay than its settled. I'll move out next week Friday, I've already..."

"Wait, what" I questioned unable to believe my ears.

"I said I'm moving out on Friday clearly the living arrangement isn't working out for anyone. You leave early so you don't have to see me, and that is making Andrew and Caleb worry" I stared at him honestly dumb founded. I really wasn't expecting anything like this.

Under normal circumstances I would be over the moon to have him out so it could be just me and they boys, like old times. But I don't want him to move because of me, I want him to move because of his own stupidity. He's become a really close friend to Andrew over the last few months and he's even established a small Friendship with Caleb. I'm the only one in the house who doesn't seem to get along with him.

Could it maybe be that i am the problem and not Mikel? I mean if everyone likes him but me could i be the one in the wrong? Is he actually a decent person and I just never gave him the time to show me?

"Anna!" Mikel called out to me snapping me back to reality "Are you even listening to me?" He demanded to know.

"Yes I'm sorry I just got lost in my thoughts" I replied letting out a small sigh before continuing "listen i know we haven't gotten a long but Andrew and Caleb seems to have taken a liking to you so don't move out just because of me please" I request from him

"I don't want to move but I also don't want to fight every day with the people I'm staying with you know" he explained sounding exhausted by it all and I nodded completely agreeing with him. It was tiring, waking up early so I wouldn't have to run into him while getting ready in the morning. Taking the bus which was less than convenient because I always end up getting to campus either too early or too late.

But most importantly, I miss Caleb and Drew. Because I've been avoiding Mikel I needed to avoid them to because since he moved in with us they've been including him in everything. I honestly just want everyone to be happy, I thought sadly to myself.

I know what I have to do and under if this was for me, I would rather jump off a bridge but this isn't for me. Its for the two of them, its for my family.

My throat felt like gravel but I cleared not allowing anything to stop me from keeping my family together and happy. "Can we start over please? Can we try to be friends?" I asked looking down at my half empty drink unable to meet his brown gaze. My face felt hot and I knew my cheeks must be flushed right now.

"Anna" he called for me softly. I looked up at him his full lips curving into a gentle smile disarming me completely.  I've never seen him smile like this, I thought to myself yelling at my brane to look away from those pink lips which had a small creas in the middle of his bottom lip.

"I'd appreciate that" he added when our gaze finally met. His voice sounding a little huskier than before his and for a moment a moment I thought I saw his disarming smile turn into something else, something dangerous.

No Anna! I scolded myself, stop always assuming the worst of everything. He's a good guy and he's goings to be your friend I reassured myself and I physically let myself relax infront of Mikel since Andrew introduced us.